Carla Johnson-Hicks's Reviews > Yeast of Eden

Yeast of Eden by Sarah    Fox

bookshelves: adult-fiction, cozy-mystery, netgalley, audio, hoopla

Wally Fowler has returned to Wildwood Cove to open The Waffle Kingdom, direct competition with Marley and The Flip Side. He makes a lot of people unhappy with his return, least of all, Lisa, whose sister died and she was adamant that Wally was responsible. Then, one evening Wally is found dead in his new restaurant and it appears he was murdered. Lisa and Ivan, her chef, become persons of interest in the killing. Marley decides to explore Wally's death in order to clear her friends. There are other story lines going on in this story. Brett, Marley's boyfriend is dealing with a family situation when his father suffers a heart attack and must be revived. He and his family head off to Seattle while he has heart surgery leaving Marley worrying back home. The second mystery in this book has to do with a murder/disappearance from twenty years earlier. When Marley finds a set a journals from a relative, she reads about this mystery and with her curiosity in overdrive, she starts asking questions and gathering information about this long cold situation.

I have read all the books in this series and have watched the characters grow and develop. I like Marley, she is a likable and relatable protagonist. She has grown as a business woman running the restaurant and has developed many relationships around town. Her romance with Brett is progressing very nicely. I thought the mystery was well done and even though there were two storylines, they meshed well together. Both are wrapped up nicely, with the mystery in present coming to a rather climatic conclusion. I had my suspicions, but was not sure about the culprit until just before it was revealed by the author. I will continue to read this series and find out what else Marley stumbles into. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book to read upon my request. The rating, ideas and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yeast of Eden.

July 27, 2018 – Shelved