The Book Consultant's Reviews > The Once and Future Geek

The Once and Future Geek by Mari Mancusi

bookshelves: netgalleys-arcs, 11-read-in-2018, waiting-for-sequels

This middle grade novel tells the entertaining story of what happens when legendary King Arthur (only 12 years old in this book) time travels to the 21st century and googles himself, thereby discovering the hardships and betrayals he will someday face. Naturally, he decides to stay in the 21st century to avoid the trials and tribulations of his medieval life. It’s up to Sophie and Stu (12 year olds from the 21st century) to save the day (or die trying!).

I was a little hard on this book initially because I couldn’t stop comparing it to a certain YA juggernaut (who may or may not write about gods and goddesses and their half-mortal children). This book does not reach the same polished, epic heights as those books, but it’s super entertaining nonetheless. And this book is middle grade, not YA, so it’s really not fair to compare them.

We see lots of traditional Arthurian characters make delightful appearances (Guinevere, Merlin, Mogana, Kay, and a brief passing-by of Lancelot). The author weaves Arthurian legend into the story pretty seamlessly and authentically - I even learned a thing or two I hadn’t know before.

The story itself jumps around between a couple different character’s points-of-view but it wasn’t really ever confusing. Parallels drawn between characters were interesting at times, and felt a little forced or in-your-face/unnecessary at other times. Keeping in mind the target audience, though, I think it was well done overall.

This appears to be the first book in a series. I’m sure kids in the target audience who enjoy the King Arthur legend will love this book/series. However, I’m not sure it will cross as easily into other audiences like the aforementioned YA series has. But, again, that’s not really a fair comparison, just my own thought.

This was somewhere between 3.75 and 4 stars for me. Entertaining and well-written for the middle grade audience, but not something I couldn’t put down. Also, as a bonus, the cover art is beautiful! It’s what first drew me to this book, and I would even consider buying this just because of how pretty it is.

*Thank you to Netgalley and Disney Hyperion for providing me with a free advance review copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Once and Future Geek.

July 27, 2018 – Started Reading