Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)'s Reviews > The Flying Rock

The Flying Rock by Robert Rush

liked it
bookshelves: arc, netgalley, read-with-my-kids

"Violence only creates more problems."

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really enjoyed the concept behind The Flying Rock. "You are responsible for each of your actions, and your actions a(ff)ect other people.” There were some formatting issues with my review copy, so some of the letters were missing, but it wasn't too difficult to figure out what they were.

The little boy in this book responds to taunts and teasing with violence. He gets scared and runs home where his grandfather scolds him and also tells him a story. The story was okay, but didn't flow well. It felt choppy and all over the place, but the message was solid.

Every action has a consequence, but we don't always know what that consequence will be. It has the potential to be both good and bad. In the moment, we may see the action as something horrible and devastating, but it could actually lead to something better. It doesn't help to dwell on what might happen, but focus on what's going on in the present. That's the only thing you can control.

It also mentions that just because a mistake has a positive outcome, it doesn't make that mistake okay. You still have to take responsibility for what you've done, but be thankful that it didn't do any lasting harm.

Again, I liked the message, but I feel like it was poorly executed. I had to struggle through some parts, and that doesn't bode well for a children's book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flying Rock.

July 27, 2018 – Started Reading