Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Night Before

The Night Before by Wendy   Walker

4.5 stars! Out May 14th! Pre-order from Amazon here!

Wendy Walker, you have a new fan in me! This is the first I've read from this author and it won't be the last.

The Night Before is about a woman who struggles with relationships. We've all been there, right? After a devastating break up, she moves back to her childhood town to live with her sister as she mentally recovers. She decides to give online dating a try. Again, we've all been there, right? I met my husband on match.com seven years ago so I can totally relate. But when she doesn't come home from her first online date, her sister will panic and desperately search to find out what happened the night before.

The thing that really struck me about this book is how well the story unfolded. Wendy Walker did a fabulous job of releasing information to the reader at just the right times and places along the way so as not to reveal too much information but also to keep the story moving and exciting. While I found it a tad unbelievable that the main character would have revealed so much personal information on a first date with a stranger, I decided to look past it for the sake of entertainment. Who knows, maybe people are more open that I am with their personal information on first dates?!

I really enjoyed the story being told from different perspectives. It's somewhat common in the thriller genre, but it worked really well here. And I appreciated the timeline changing from past to present and back. It added a lot of mystery to the story line and kept me guessing. There were plenty of twists in this book and I would say about 50% of them surprised me and 50% of them I saw coming. But the ones that surprised me were really shocking and unexpected.

I can't say much more without giving away key plot elements, so I'll just leave it at that. This is a really solid thriller that I think a lot of people would enjoy. It is exciting, shocking, twisted, and clever. I look forward to reading future works by Wendy Walker.

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Wendy Walker, and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Before.

July 27, 2018 – Shelved
July 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 26, 2019 – Started Reading
April 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Brandice (new) - added it

Brandice Great review, Ashley! I haven’t read anything by Walker yet but am definitely looking forward to this book :)