Daphne's Reviews > Salt Magic, Skin Magic

Salt Magic, Skin Magic by Lee  Welch

*note: I received an ARC from the author

A lord trapped in his father’s home, a magician arriving to investigate, magic and mystery and intense action. This book is so good I read it twice!

The plot is expertly crafted, leaving the reader wondering what is going on in this eerie, nearly haunted house. A heavy atmosphere and a gripping mystery which I could not see through until it was resolved. This kept me reading and enjoying the book immensely, coupled with the growing romance of the two leading characters. What I loved about them is that even though they are extremely attracted to each other, their relationship isn’t solely based on sex, but they can talk and understand each other and ultimately work together really well. There is respect along with witty banter and sizzling attraction in their relationship.

The magic in this world is also very interesting, with John Blake being a “materials man”, working with inanimate objects and specific materials to channel magic and work charms. The author manages to convey the details of this work without being boring and it works so well in the context of the plot. I can’t help wanting more of this world.

The only thing that I felt was lacking was a more thorough resolution at the end. I would have liked to see an epilogue or final chapter that dealt with the subplots left open, the other characters (Lady Dalton for example), what Thornby would do after his predicament was resolved, what Blake would do with the realizations he had about his magic. Maybe the story will continue in future books, if so I would love to read more of these characters and this world!

This blends historical with paranormal so very well and it’s a genre I adore. I was very pleasantly surprised by this book and I can’t wait to read more by this author. Highly recommended if you enjoy historical m/m romance, magic, fairy tales, and mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt Magic, Skin Magic.

Started Reading