Bec's Reviews > Above All

Above All by Rebecca Brooks

bookshelves: book-magic-reviews, july-2018-reads

Casey Webb is running from her heartbreak and settling in the small mountain town she's found herself in is the perfect place for her to heal. However, when Ben Mailer comes to town, Casey finds herself succumbing to the intense chemistry they share, even though she's sworn off men. Will Casey take a chance on Ben or will she let her shot at happy ever after slip away?

What an interesting and engaging read Ms. Brooks has delivered in this first book of her Heart of the Adirondacks series where the heroine is a few years older than the hero; the storyline was fast-paced and kept me entertained from start to finish because of the obstacles these two have to face to be together including whether the hero or heroine will be willing to move to be with the other since the heroine loves where she lives and the hero needs to be in the city for his career.

As for the dialogue, it was intense due to the main characters back stories because the heroine was hurt big time by her ex and I could understand why she's reluctant to give another man a chance, even though she shares such strong chemistry with Ben. However, in saying that, I liked that she took a chance on Ben because he's a good guy, despite everything he puts the heroine through. Moreover, the heroine is resilient, courageous and I liked how Ben helps her to heal from her past and renews her faith and trust in men, even if there are a few speed bumps along the way that had me worried Casey would give up on Ben. While the hero, he's confident, charming at times, a good friend, persistent when it comes to getting to know Casey and I liked the decisions he made, even though they were hard ones when it came to his relationship with Casey. Will he find a way for the pair to be together without hurting those that want what's best for him when it comes to his career?

Overall, Ms. Brooks has delivered a really good read in this book where the chemistry between this couple was strong; the romance heats up the pages and had me liking that Casey took a chance on Ben; and the ending had me loving the hero's determination to prove to the heroine that she's the one for him and he's not going anywhere, especially with the commitment he's made in following his dream. I would recommend Above All by Rebecca Brooks, if you enjoy a story encompassing an older heroine-younger hero romance, the opposites attract trope or books by authors Tessa Bailey, TS Joyce, Alexis Daria and Lauren Layne.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above All.

Started Reading