Ipsita's Reviews > Star-Crossed

Star-Crossed by Pintip Dunn

bookshelves: dystopian-novels, sci-fi-books, ya-fantasy-fiction, netgalley-arcs

StarCrossed
Author: Pintip Dunn
Publishers: Entangled: Teen
Publication Date: October 2nd 2018
Genre: Sci-Fi Romance Fantasy
Source: ARC from Netgalley
mybookishvibes Rates: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

description

Set in the future where human race is near to destruction and survival in the planet of Dion solely depends on the new evolved Aegis to overcome the limited food problem and supply the colonial people with food pillls instead of real food, as only the Aegis are able to eat and produce the pills for necessity while this comes as a responsibility and gives them shorter life than most to live, whereas sacrifices are a must for the existence of life, saving and finding the fittest body for the dying king doesn't make things easier for Princess Vela Kunchai, contestant for the king's next successor along with her sister, Blanca, her rival in every way possible.
Caught in between her duties to the colony and her devotion to the people, while she uncovers the true nature of her best friend's sickness, and to choose the right path in saving both her father and her one true love Carr's life in the way of the fight for the place of king's successor and to be crowned ultimately as the queen with her own sister; the rightful decisions to take doesn't come as easy for a ruler,
this book is a whirlwind of emotions and rights to serve and to love.

My Thoughts:
Sci-Fi is one of the genre I haven't explored more on and while it always seems like I've had more expectation for a good sci-fi, fantasy novel; this book certainly lived up to all of those.
I loved the plot and the story of this book which proves to be as a brilliant theory and made me even more interested in the book itself.

“This pain, too, will pass. Just hold on, and life will get better. It always does.”

"I’ve felt her presence as I walk in the woods. Her touch whispers over me when I tilt my face to the stars, looking for answers. I know she’s here with me, even if she’s in a different realm.”

"They’re just words. Intangible things that disappear as soon as they’re said. Like particles of dust that blow away when the wind fans pass overhead. Like dew drops that disappear as the day progresses."

"Maybe some things aren’t worth any price. Maybe there’s a fate worse than death."

"That’s the thing with ideals. They’re easy to impose on other people. Not so easy to practice yourself.”

All the characters in this story were put so gracefully, I loved their idols and the history of Dion, a planet new born for the sake of survival of humans and aegis alike. The sisters were my favorite of all, Vela and Blanca, they had a very different kind of relationship; complicated and torn between the right to love and serve. Vela and her father, the king who was her true motivator, I loved their bond throughout the book. And while this came as a surprise to me, I throughly enjoyed reading it.
This book shows one beautiful example of friendship, love, destiny, duties, loyality, dignity and one's moral privilege.

Final Verdict and Ratings:
I'll definitely recommend this book to those who wants to explore more of futuristic story and a good fantasy thriller novel, as I really enjoyed discovering more to this book and I'm very excited to read more books from this genre soon,
and so I am giving this lovely book 4⭐/5 forward it's captivating story.

[ Thanks so much to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley for providing me a copy of this in exchange for an honest review ]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star-Crossed.

July 26, 2018 – Shelved
August 12, 2018 –
August 31, 2018 –
September 2, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 9, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley-arcs

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Vamsi (new)

Vamsi That's one of the most decent,clear cut review I've seen.

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena San this can est from poverty

Ipsita Vamsi wrote: "That's one of the most decent,clear cut review I've seen."