Julie's Reviews > Night of Miracles

Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg

bookshelves: 2018, contemporary-fiction, e-book

Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg is a 2018 Random House publication.

A sweet, whimsical story that pays forward the tradition of kindness started by Arthur Truluv-

In this follow up to “The Story of Arthur Truluv, the reader is reunited with Lucille and Maddy, as they embark on the next big adventure in their lives.

Lucille has started to teach a baking class, which is very successful. Maddy, left home, but has returned to visit Lucille and has a big announcement to make. Meanwhile, readers follow several characters connected to Lucille in some way- her neighbor, who has been diagnosed with cancer, the awkward romance of one of her baking class students, and, Iris, her new assistant.

While this second installment isn’t quite a strong as the first one, there is plenty to love about this story. The eccentric group of characters, each struggling with trials and heartache, find a niche, or comfort in some way from Lucille and her kitchen.

While some of the topics addressed are serious ones, the charming and whimsical mood remains intact, from start to finish. Once again, we experience the power of kindness, neighborliness, and friendship. It is also a reminder to anyone of a certain age that life goes in cycles. Keep living yours with as much gusto as possible, all the way up to the ‘jumping off place’.

Overall, this another wonderfully warm ‘feel good’ story. I am hoping that some of the characters introduced in this book will become main characters in future installments and carry on the traditions set forth by Arthur to future generations.

You can never have too books like this one.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of Miracles.

July 26, 2018 – Shelved
July 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 13, 2018 – Started Reading
August 13, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
August 13, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
August 13, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
November 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Great review, Julie

message 2: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad you are enjoying the characters in this series, Julie ;) Fabulous review!! 💚😘❤️

message 3: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Wonderful review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!🤗💕

Julie Diane wrote: "Great review, Julie"

Thank you, Diane!! 💖

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad you are enjoying the characters in this series, Julie ;) Fabulous review!! 💚😘❤️"

Thank you, KAS!! 💖

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!🤗💕"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 💖

message 7: by *Swaroop* (new)

*Swaroop* Beautiful review, Julie! Also, what a title!

Karen Great review Julie, I would love to see Tiny in a new book, loved him!

Jaline Terrific review, Julie!

Julie Karen wrote: "Great review Julie, I would love to see Tiny in a new book, loved him!"

Thank you, Karen!! I loved him too!! Such terrific characters in this one! 💖

Julie Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Julie!"

Thank you, Jaline!! 💖

Julie ||Swaroop|| wrote: "Beautiful review, Julie! Also, what a title!"

Thank you, Swaroop!! You have to read this one!! But, read Arthur Truluv first. These are really special stories. 💖

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Sweet review Julie, I haven't read Arthur Truluv yet, but it is on my list.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lovely review, Julie!

message 15: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds lovely Julie, very nice review 🤗

JV (semi-hiatus) I'm in for this one! Great review, Julie 🥰

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Beautiful review Julie! 🥰

Angela M Julie, I felt the same - not as good as the first, but still a lovely story.

Kendall Wonderful review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this too :)

Julie Kendall wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this too :)"

Thank you, Kendall!! 💖

Julie Angela M wrote: "Julie, I felt the same - not as good as the first, but still a lovely story."

Thank you, Angela!! 💖

Julie Nicola wrote: "Beautiful review Julie! 🥰"

Thank you, Nicola!! 💖

Julie JV wrote: "I'm in for this one! Great review, Julie 🥰"

Thank you, JV!! Happy reading!! 💖

Julie Beverly wrote: "Sweet review Julie, I haven't read Arthur Truluv yet, but it is on my list."

Thank you, Beverly!! I hope you enjoy Truluv!! It's a very sweet story.💖

Julie Maureen wrote: "Sounds lovely Julie, very nice review 🤗"

Thank you, Maureen!! 💖

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Julie! You are right that we can never have too many books like this, and I, too, am hoping for more renditions of this storyline. ♥️

message 27: by Julie (last edited Nov 25, 2018 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! You are right that we can never have too many books like this, and I, too, am hoping for more renditions of this storyline. ♥️"
Thank you, Jennifer!! Maybe Iris can be the at the center of the next one. 💖