Tiffany Reddick's Reviews > The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time

The Beak of the Finch by Jonathan Weiner

F 50x66
Dec 14, 2011

bookshelves: currently-reading
Recommended to Tiffany by: Amazon

Beautifully written book. Although I'm reading an audible edition, I'm tempted to get a paperback edition just so I might read it aloud myself. The ideal reader in my head would be Tilda Swinton, who narrated the "Galapagos" series (beautiful in HD).

I still believe in Design, but creation is not a fixed-picture, it is a continual process. The belief in creation is not above scientific inquiry. That natural means find their way to life, to order, to being, is not just luck, but to me, evidence of something more. Disorder--of harsh conditions, of available mates--can land new types and textures, and life can thrive, adapt, and overcome. Perhaps all the suffering involved in the process might, in the mind of some, remove the possibility of divine oversight, but selection in itself, inspiring wonder among scientists for its quickness and efficiency, is to me, evidence of order. Of course, this is a different type of mystery for us to accept (as I've also read something to this effect): this mystery is not of what is miraculous and unknown, but of what is known and miraculous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beak of the Finch.