Meghan's Reviews > Anne Sexton: A Biography

Anne Sexton by Diane Wood Middlebrook

Jun 27, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: crazy local-poet types who don't think less of a person based on their mental illness
Read in July, 2007

in a lot of ways, anne sexton reminds me of myself... if things had gone much, much worse in my earlier life... and if my issues went unchecked and untreated. she was beautiful, but lived a life full of insecurity, which is what so many of the women i know battle with daily. the so-called "confessional" aspect of her poetry was reinforced by the true-life experiences that fueked this creative, demented mind, making her poetry (which i already loved) come alive with new meaning.

this book was beautifully written, and i enjoyed the multiple perspectives included in the narrative. i espesially like that middlebrook used anne's audiotapes of her therapy sessions to gain insight into a beautiful writer and horribly sick woman. the incest between anne and her daughter made me cringe, and really made me like anne less as a person (unfortunately), but the overall portrait of this invaluable poet made me love poetry so much the more as a method of therapy as well as expression... this book, like anne's poetry, was like an outpouring of the soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne Sexton.