Book of Secrets's Reviews > The Suspect

The Suspect by Fiona Barton

liked it

Two 18-year old girls, Alex and Rosie, go missing while on holiday in Thailand. After their parents notify police, reporter Kate Waters jumps at the chance to cover the story. This time, however, the tables have turned on Kate. She discovers that her son who's been living in Thailand may somehow be involved. What happens when her own family is thrust in the spotlight?

The story is told in short chapters and alternating POVs - the reporter, the detective, the mother, and one of the missing girls. The opening grabbed my attention, though I had a harder time staying engaged with this book versus the first two in the series. At about the 30% mark, the major twist (IMO) was revealed. I thought, huh. Now what's going to happen for another 300 pages? The middle moved by slowly, but things picked up closer to the end.

I very much enjoyed The Widow and The Child, but something was a bit off about this one. The premise was intriguing, but the execution didn't grab me and I never warmed to the characters unfortunately!

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

𝓓𝓲𝓪𝓷𝓪 | Instagram | Pinterest | ✿

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suspect.

July 25, 2018 – Shelved
Started Reading
January 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Terrific review 💖