Flavia's Reviews > 96 Words for Love

96 Words for Love by Rachel  Roy

liked it

Rating: 3.5 stars

I was very excited to read this book! A lot of YA seems to be featuring less and less romance, and my poor romantic heart needs romance to live, haha. So, when I heard that 96 Words for Love would be a modern retelling of a classic legend from India (with lots of romance), I knew that I absolutely had to read it. When I found out that the main character would also be travelling to India, I was all the more excited! Once I was reading, I found that the travel portion did not disappoint!

I would have liked a little more description, but reading about Raya’s journey to an old ashram in India was great! I almost felt as if I was travelling with Raya and her super-lovable cousin. Which brings me to how I felt about the characters. As I was reading, I was finding as if I wasn’t really connecting with Raya. (I actually felt that I liked her cousin a lot more, and wish that this had been her story instead. I feel awful for saying it, but Raya seemed a little self-centered, whereas her cousin felt more genuine and sweet.)

I’m not sure if this is because of how the story was narrated (aka Raya’s voice, because she’s the narrator) or because of the pacing. I wish that the story had been paced a little differently since it’s a little slow in the beginning before accelerating considerably for the last bit of the book. (That’s the only way I can formulate that without spoiling things, haha.) I also felt a little odd about the book once I found out that Ava Dash is actually the model used on the cover, and that Raya might actually represent Ava. Things got a little confusing in my brain.

Overall, I did find that this was an enjoyable read and that it was also quite different from some of the other YA that I’ve read mainly because of the romance and the setting (because I’ve been trying to read more contemporary YA set outside of the U.S.A., North America, and the Western world in general).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 96 Words for Love.

July 25, 2018 – Shelved