Azrah's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: exceeded-expectations, loved-it, read-in-2018

NETFLIX SERIES? NETFLIX?? SERIES?? NETFLIX SERIES!!
 photo IMG_20190111_053509_zpslbet8er6.jpeg

_______
You’re the first glimmer of hope I’ve had in a long time.

I don't know why it has taken me this long to start this series. But I'm actually kind of grateful that I'm reading it now that the Throne of Glass series is complete. I'll now have this world to obsess over.

This book was a really good start to a series. It lays the ground work for what's to come and I'm really excited to continue on.

There were times where I found the main character, Alina, irritating. Plus I'm not particularly fond of Mal. And yes, we are kind of thrown into the deep end of this fantasy world where we have to figure everything out ourselves. But the writing and the plot was just so fantastic that I couldn't help but get sucked in.

SPOILERS BELOW!!

For more than half of the book Alina was in denial of her powers. She's literally shining like a lamp and she's all: ‘Nope nope. That's not me!’ - it was annoying af o_o

I immediately found the Darkling alluring and such an interesting character. I kinda love him even though he's evil (or is he? Hmm). I was not surprised in the least by the fact that he wanted to use Alina to control the Shadow Fold. Because it didn't make sense to me that someone as powerful as him would be okay taking orders from some lazy mortal king.
I'm really looking forward to finding out more about him.

He wanted to take away the one thing that had ever really belonged to me, the only power I’d ever had.

I do ship Alina and the Darkling. But my OTP for this book was Genya and David. How adorable were those two?!

I really loved Genya. And I'm so glad that she was there for Alina. I'm angry for the way she was being used and treated by the royals. I totally understand why she did what she did. And I hope we see more of her in the future.

As I said before I'm not a fan of Mal and I don't like him and Alina together. (His love confession had me rolling my eyes.) But I do love their friendship. They would do anything for each other and I think that's so beautiful. They should just stay friends.

Also:
• The Apparat is super creepy
• What happened to Baghra? I miss her
• I'm really curious about the Darkling's real name
• I can't wait to meet the infamous Nikolai, who I'm assuming is the younger prince that is away with the army

I'm really hyped to start Siege and Storm. I need more Darkling.

________
Does anyone else notice the similarities between this book and the first Red Queen book by Victoria Aveyard?

Girl discovers never seen before hidden powers while facing imminent death in front of many witnesses. Girl is then separated from her best friend and is forced to live in a palace. Let's not forget the betrayal from one of the only people she trusts in the palace and in the end is on the run with best friend.

Does that ring any bells?

I'm not saying these authors have copied from each other. I just find it interesting that they have these things in common.
_____
Pre-Read Rambles

I'm seriously hoping that Leigh Bardugo will be able to fill the void that Sarah Maas has left me with after Kingdom of Ash. Here goes nothing. 🙏

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

July 25, 2018 – Shelved
December 1, 2018 – Started Reading
December 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Morgan The Six of Crows duology probably but I wouldn't get my hopes too high for the grisha trilogy if I were you

Azrah @morgan I'm enjoying it so far 👌

helena i think she will, i absolutely love leigh bardugo

message 4: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica She will for sure

Azrah Erica wrote: "She will for sure"

helena wrote: "i think she will, i absolutely love leigh bardugo"

I'm at about 80% (I'm really breezing through this book 😁)
All I wanna know is, when am I going to meet that Nikolai guy that everyone keeps telling me about??

Morgan I'm not entirely sure but I think it's in book 3 that we see him first

Azrah Morgan wrote: "I'm not entirely sure but I think it's in book 3 that we see him first"

I'll keep a look out for him 😋

message 8: by MaryGrace (new)

MaryGrace You meet Nikolai in book 2. But I'm so glad you liked this =)

Azrah MaryGrace wrote: "You meet Nikolai in book 2. But I'm so glad you liked this =)"

whoop 🙌
Thanks MaryGrace ♥ I'm also glad lol

Azrah Jazzy wrote: "Love it! Genya & David were cute though. Lol."

They were! I hope there's more cuteness in Siege and storm!

Em (RavenS) I read this book over the summer for the first time and I totally agree with your review! I actually started to like Mal by the end of it too, but Genya and David were definitely stealing the spotlight romance-wise. Never read Red Queen but I found similarities with the ACOTAR!

Azrah Em (RavenS) wrote: "I read this book over the summer for the first time and I totally agree with your review! I actually started to like Mal by the end of it too, but Genya and David were definitely stealing the spotl..."

thank you Em! *face palm* I didn't even realise the similarities with Acotar also!! Clearly a lot of YA books follow a similar plot line

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon NeTFliX SerIEs!!!!!!!!! 😵😵😵😍😍😍😍😱😱😱😱😱😲😲😲😲😲

message 14: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary S. R. WHATTT

Azrah Frank wrote: "NeTFliX SerIEs!!!!!!!!! 😵😵😵😍😍😍😍😱😱😱😱😱😲😲😲😲😲"

They best not disappoint!!

Azrah Mary wrote: "WHATTT"

I know right!

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon Azrah wrote: "Frank wrote: "NeTFliX SerIEs!!!!!!!!! 😵😵😵😍😍😍😍😱😱😱😱😱😲😲😲😲😲"

They best not disappoint!!"

I'd go all Kaz Brekker on them if they mess up

Azrah Frank wrote: "I'd go all Kaz Brekker on them if they mess up"

😂😂