Helen's Reviews > Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed

I have very mixed feelings about this book. I loved Eleanor as a character but her backstory was traumatic and chilling. It's not the warm, funny book people say it is.

We're supposed to find Eleanor awkward and quirky and socially awkward, but mostly a funny character; like Sheldon in the big bang theory. But her quirks were there because she had suffered abuse as a child. It's not funny when someone is a bit odd because of trauma.

I understand from the interview in the back that the author was trying to write about modern loneliness but why did Eleanor have to have such a traumatic history just as a reason to be lonely? It made the story become about childhood abuse, not loneliness, and I'm not convinced the author knows enough about that subject and how people deal with it to be writing about. It felt thrown in there to give Eleanor a backstory to make her socially awkward.

As a lighthearted romance that touches on loneliness, I would have enjoyed this. It was very easy to read and I cared about the characters. I just don't think it did justice to the child abuse and mental health issues that were raised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.

July 25, 2018 – Started Reading
July 25, 2018 – Shelved
July 26, 2018 –
page 355
July 28, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 30, 2018 –
page 355
91.03% "Review to follow when the rest of the book club have finished :)"
August 12, 2018 – Shelved as: reviewed