DonnaCarol's Reviews > Out of the Dying Pan

Out of the Dying Pan by Linda  Reilly

9204455

bookshelves: cosy-mysteries

5 star Cozy Mystery. I have to say that I don't often see a second in a series that is better than the first. This is one of them. I really enjoyed Fillet Of Murder, #1 in this series but this the #2 in the series was even better than the first. Talia is growing. Which I love in a female oriented book. I hate to see a female portrayed as one that never learns from experience's. Talia is becoming a better friend as well as a better business woman. She is taking charge of her life and moving forward. Good example for all of us. None of us are perfect and Talia is no exception. I like the way her subtle "flaws" are examined and we get to see how her heart and way of thinking is altered (for the good) by the people and experience's she is surrounded by. This makes this cozy a level above some that I have enjoyed. Linda Reilly has a gift that is similar to another great author, Maeve Binchy. So many characters in one story. BUT...they both introduce and blend these characters ( and their stories) in such a way that I don't lose track of who people are or what they are about. By the end of the book their lives come together into one very good, cohesive , entertaining, easy to read, steady paced story.
Not all mysteries are Murder. I especially enjoy the mystery's behind a few of the characters and how we become enlightened . The romance is subtle, gentle and sweet. Growing in its own time.
I do hope that Talia changes the name of her business. I agree with Martha (great character) Fry Me a Sliver is weird. Sliver just would not entice me into an eating establishment. Fry Me sounds too similar to BITE ME. (lol) A character in this story called it "The Ole Fish n Chips Shop" . THAT is a quaint , descriptive name, one that fits the establishment. Included into the story is a well balanced ratio of likable and not so likable characters. Just like life. I am on my way to get the next in this very entertaining easy to read cozy series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Dying Pan.

July 24, 2018 – Shelved