Jessie's Reviews > Summer of Salt

Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno

bookshelves: ace-spectrum, aro-spec

This is a very atmospheric book, and it's interesting to see how much that atmosphere is questioned. By-the-Sea is an odd and magical place, but there are outsiders present, and the islanders are aware of the oddities and magic.

I love the Fernweh family relationships -- Georgina and Mary's sisterhood, Georgina and her mother. And Aggie (head cook/mother's best friend) is basically family, and she's great. We got so much family history throughout the book as well

Harrison is a delight, and I'm so glad we got to see more of him and more sides of him as the book progressed. I was also really into the romance between Georgina and Prue, that it was difficult during the summer for all kinds of reasons but never related to them being on outs with each other.

Vira, Georgina's best friend, is aroace. It comes up a couple of times (after a comment Vira makes about a guy and then when Georgina remembers coming out to Vira and Vira coming out to her). "Aroace" is used on page as the label that Vira uses for herself. Georgina's memory of the coming out scene only addresses asexuality. (It's a very brief scene, no 101.) Vira isn't on page a ton, but she has a good group of friends and is really loyal to and supportive of Georgina. There's really only one negative trope Vira falls into, but it's a big one. She has a ouija board and uses it, apparently semi-regularly, and a lot of her custom ice cream flavors have death-related names. She also wants to rename the Ice Cream Parlor to Skull & Cone, so she's very death-adjacent/associated. (Also, she's named after a vampire character, so... yes.)

CW: sexual assault, gun violence, mentions of parental abuse, character death, mentions of drowning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of Salt.

July 24, 2018 – Started Reading