Nora St Laurent's Reviews > The Prayer Coin: Daring to Pray with Honest Abandon

The Prayer Coin by Elisa Morgan

I appreciated this authors honest and transparent look at prayer as she talks about it from several angles. She discusses the problems with prayer, How and Why we prayer? When we pray etc. She shares how she came up with The Prayer Coin” as she studied Jesus’s prayers, “Take this cup,” and “Not my will.” It’s a two-sided prayer approach to prayer. The author gives examples from her prayer journal, so readers can grasp the concept. On the Take this Cup side she has listed “My friend’s trip to celebrate her sister’s 50th wedding anniversary… Take this cup of anxiety. May you rid the worry she’s experiencing regarding traveling etc… She lists prayers for other friends and their situations.

Then on the Not My Will side. She has this prayer for the first friend she already prayed for: “My friend’s trip. May you turn the unexpected and the interruptions into divine appointments. If she doesn’t make it to her destination in time for the anniversary party, or if she’s kept from returning in time for the second event, may you give her peace. May she embrace the solitude of travel as you give yourself to her in it. Not my will.”

Praying two sides of the coin like this makes you humble, surrendered and helps the reader think outside the box as some make God out to be a genie in a bottle and/or Santa Claus granting wishes.

I loved her in depth look and insight into Jesus’ Honest – Take this Cup look at scripture and what was going on in the Garden of Gethsemane as he prayed. His truthful Request, His authentic Expression, with scripture references to back up what she’s detailing. She says, “Honest comes from trust and trust comes from being known. Jesus knew that the Father knew his heart, all of it, and would hear his raw three-word request.”

I liked her approach to prayer that helps the readers get closer to God, be honest and transparent with themselves and God. It’s an invitation from Jesus to draw near. This is something that is going to take practice and journaling to be able to do it well.

I’m excited that this book also had a 6 – lesson companion book along the Prayer Coin DVD. I’m going to suggest this to my small group to do at the next session.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine https://tinyurl.com/y9lwbfrs
SVP Promotion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prayer Coin.

Started Reading