Jillian's Reviews > Tahn

Tahn by L.A. Kelly

Dec 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: christian, fantasy, historical-fantasy

Being built up only to be knocked down is one of life's greater unpleasantries. This book started out pretty good, and seemed to building up to something quite excellent. Then it got a bit boring, but it picked up quite nicely again. Then just over halfway through it reached a sort of climax. Bit of an awkward spot to put that. Not the cleverest idea. Could possible result in an over-generous amount of feelings mixed with boring.

Oh look! It did.

The plot wilted like an old daisy. The writing was bland. World-building like an unpainted wall. The dialogue was as stiff as a dead guy just before rigor mortis sets in (only just, mind you). The characters could've would've should've been better. I mean, I liked Vari, and the kids weren't too bad, but Netta! Even though I didn't immediately dislike her, she got annoying without too much delay. And then all the secondaries were just plain meh. I won't bash Tahn to much, though. He was, on the whole, an adequately likable and even compelling character, with a good back story. I mean, he wasn't really brilliant, and he got tiring near the end, but he tried.

What bugged me the most, though, was the extreme preachiness and how repetitious it was about it.

And then how everyone avoided all effects of drug withdrawal simply because they called out Jesus' name got slightly irritating after the second or third case of it.

To sum it up, it went from a fairly enjoyable first bit winding down to an very boring last 150 pages weighed down with the good news of God's mercy spinning round and round like a broken record.

2.50. Because the first half was good but the second let me down hard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tahn.

December 13, 2011 – Shelved
September 20, 2013 – Started Reading
September 23, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: christian
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: historical-fantasy

Katie Love this series!

Jillian They sound really good!

Katie They are! :-) Especially if you love a medieval adventure