Darque Dreamer 's Reviews > Slayer

Slayer by Kiersten White

bookshelves: top-reads

When I heard there was going to be a new YA series set in the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I was over the moon about it! Buffy has been my all time favorite show since it aired, and, though I knew this book wouldn't revolve around the story in that beloved series, I had a feeling that it would hold the same fun lingo, humor, darkness, emotion, and nostalgia, and I was not disappointed! There were even some exciting cameos!

Slayer was a compulsive read. It was bold and exciting, and full of little details that brought me back to my favorite TV show (and one of my favorite movies). It had a dynamic cast of brand new characters that pulled on my heartstrings, and offered a story line that, not only satisfied the Buffy lover in me, but also gave a sense of originality and uniqueness.

Slayer was profoundly deep, and exhilarating. It wasn't just about the Watcher council, and the slayers, and Buffy having almost destroyed the world. It was about a teenage girl's struggle to find out who she was. It was about finding one's inner strength, and learning to navigate the world without hate or preconceptions. And it was about trust, family, and friendship.

Kiersten White managed to capture something that I had always felt we had missed in the early episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She captured Nina's state of denial. She captured her inner struggle of asking "why me," and she captured that inner battle, and change as Nina learned to accept and live with the changes of finding out she was a slayer.

This made Nina's character so incredibly relatable to anyone who has ever found out they have cancer, or an autoimmune condition (like myself and my type 1 diabetes), or someone going through something they have no control over. Nina became relatable to young girls everywhere going through emotional situations that they felt, or feel, helpless through. Nina was a beacon of strength through the story because she was so incredibly human with her reaction to finding out she had superhuman power, and it sent a beautiful, positive message about staying strong and fighting through whatever may come.

Slayer was everything I hoped it would be, and so much more! I loved that Kiersten made it easy to enjoy for those who have never been introduced to the world of slayers before, and I loved that she tied in so many details and references for those of us who fell in love with the world, and characters, years ago. I also loved that the story focused more on the characters, and Nina and her sister, rather than the big bad. It helped me make a more emotional connection to be ready for Nina to kick some ass!

Thank you to Simon and Schuster for providing me with this free ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slayer.

July 23, 2018 – Shelved