Sharon Metcalf's Reviews > Our Homesick Songs

Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper

bookshelves: 2018, netgalley

What a wonderful discovery Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper was.   With beautiful writing, a fantastic setting, a lovely family story, and some interesting learnings this one delivered everything I most enjoy about reading.

Set in the isolated fishing village of Big Running the story alternated between the late 60's/early 70's, and the early 90's.     In the earlier period we meet teenagers Martha Murphy and Aidan Connor.    We learn something of their backstories, how they meet and fall in love.   In the 90's, when they are now parents to Cora 14, and Finn 10, times are tough for the family and for the entire village.    Emma Hooper does an excellent job of painting the picture of a small fishing village in decline.   The fish have all vanished taking with them the residents livelihoods and any hopes of a future at Big Running.   The already small number of residents dwindles week by week as residents make the decion to leave.     This story is essentially about the struggle to keep the family in tact, it's about loneliness and about hope.     I loved the resourcefulness shown by both Cora and Finn and the way they each tried to look after the other.    I empathised with Aidan & Martha as the strain of living apart created an unhealthy distance between them and I enjoyed the inclusion of the folklore and stories of the mermaid songs.   As always, I love it when a work of fiction has me Googling and in this case I learnt much about the Canadian Government resettlements of tiny Newfoundland fishing villages.

All in all a highly enjoyable and entertaining read.     My thanks to Emma Hooper, the publishers Simon and Schuster, and NetGalley for the opportunity of reading this digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Homesick Songs.

July 21, 2018 – Started Reading
July 23, 2018 – Shelved
July 23, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 24, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
July 24, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Angela M Beautiful review , Sharon. “About loneliness and hope “ - love that.

message 2: by Phyllis (new) - added it

Phyllis Great review Sharon.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Lovely review, Sharon. So happy that you enjoyed this book. Reading your review had me thinking of Sweetland by Michael Crummey. It was a memorable read. Thanks for a new book to add to my TBR.

message 4: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby Fantastic review Sharon! I googled a little bit too, the resettlement sounds interesting and sad at the same time. Hope they can hang on to their heritage; I will try to find this one at my library.

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!! :)

Diane S ☔ Lovely review, Sharon.

Sharon Metcalf Kathleen wrote: "Lovely review, Sharon. So happy that you enjoyed this book. Reading your review had me thinking of Sweetland by Michael Crummey. It was a memorable read. Thanks for a new book to add to my TBR."

Thanks Kathleen. I'm not familiar with Michael Crummey or Sweetland. Think I'd better investigate :)

Sharon Metcalf Phyllis wrote: "Great review Sharon."

Angela M wrote: "Beautiful review , Sharon. “About loneliness and hope “ - love that."

Thank you for your comments Phyllis and Angela. Somehow I'd missed these when you originally added them.

Sharon Metcalf Libby wrote: "Fantastic review Sharon! I googled a little bit too, the resettlement sounds interesting and sad at the same time. Hope they can hang on to their heritage; I will try to find this one at my library."

I hope you manage to locate this one Libby as I'm sure it's something you'd enjoy. Sad and interesting are good words to describe the resettlements. Thanks so much for your comment.

Sharon Metcalf Diane S ☔ wrote: "Lovely review, Sharon."

Deanna wrote: "Excellent review!! :)"