Isamlq's Reviews > Shattered Souls

Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

it was ok

The Good

The whole protector-speaker thing. They’re basically exorcists. Even if the way Alden explained the in’s and out’s of what they were and what they did come off as a little clumsy to suit my taste, I did enjoy the novelty of it all. She talks to dead people and he protects her. Throw in some reincarnation and then some amnesia, and I thought the whole thing as not bad.

The So-so

Rose thinks she’s schizophrenic. (I think I’d have liked her more if she were.) When compared to her previous versions, Lenzi is so very different from Rose. Where Rose (as told from Alden’s POV) was sure, confident and directed, Lenzi is not any of those things. But who could blame her? Learning what she was and what she could do was done slowly through no fault of her own. Alden was simply too closed off and very careful not to break any rules. The last begs the question of ‘why?’ Why was he so careful? What was there to hide? When we learn of heartbreak and of arrangements and of rules, all things that lead his to behave the way he does, things do make sense.

And then... No, just no.

Lenzi read weak and selfish to me, her not knowing her past in no way excused how she behaved around the boys. And speak of the boys. Oh, the choice she had to make: weighing between a hot head, enabler, possibly alcoholic pill pusher versus Ghost boy, who pretends not to be controlling but was in fact very controlling. Really, how was a girl to decide? Liking her was made more difficult by the fact that she lied and avoided the truth with regards to her 'relationships' as often as she could. Should it be enough that she admitted these faults to herself? Ugh, nope. There’s a world of difference between knowing that you're doing something wrong and then not doing that wrong thing to begin with.

2.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Souls.

December 13, 2011 – Started Reading