Lynne's Reviews > Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager

Managing Humans by Michael Lopp

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, mad-librarian-skilz

Read this on the recommendation of Kevin Sonney from the Productivity Alchemy podcast.

Very solid approach to laying out management skills and tricks for people who are from technical/engineering backgrounds. I don't know that I actually found it that biting or humorous, but the simple explanations of why managers and processes are :necessary: for organizations larger than 20 people and the approaches to managing the information that managers have to be a conduit for (in multiple directions) was certainly useful.

If you're a structural thinker/problem solver who is new to management, this might be very useful. If you're already pretty strong in the people skills area, it may be less useful directly, but indirectly provides an insight to how your more structural/problem solving folks may view you and your work.

Also, it provided some descriptive frameworks for management/meeting techniques that I've actually seen my (quite effective) boss use, both in one-on-one and group meetings. I'm stealing some of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Managing Humans.

July 23, 2018 – Shelved
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 26, 2018 – Started Reading
July 26, 2018 – Shelved as: non-fiction
July 26, 2018 – Shelved as: mad-librarian-skilz
July 26, 2018 –
20.0% "While I'm still not sold on the 'biting and humorous' part, there are a lot of good tips in here about how to be effective when communicating as a manager, and it's written in a no-nonsense style. I'm still finding it useful despite being written for a different field."
July 26, 2018 –