Audrey's Reviews > Daddy-Long-Legs

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Dec 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, classics, 1910s, young-adult-fiction, epistolary, orphans

** spoiler alert ** Eh, this was okay. By no means a favorite. I just didn't really like Judy much as a heroine. She also seemed a lot younger than ages 18-22. One thing I did find interesting was the similarities in some ways to this book and Carney's House Party (and in Carney/Marion's letters in Future in a Handbasket). Both stories have to do with going to Vassar in the early 1910s.

I will give Webster credit for making the letters sound quirky and real (things like forgetting the date, lots of post scripts, etc.). Much of the humor in Judy's letters also remains fresh. I liked how she voiced her doubts about her abilities (and works through them), especially her potential as a writer. There were some quotes of Judy's musings that I really liked. But there were also some that I really didn't (e.g., the parts about socialism).

This story could have ended so very differently. Imagine if the benefactor was entirely indifferent to her. What would Judy do then? I kind of wish she would've struck out on her own instead of settling for Jervis. My problem with him is not that he is old, but that he has is VERY pushy and controlling. It doesn't seem like he has Judy's best interests at heart. He just wants to manipulate her (saying she can't go on vacation with Sallie, making a fuss about her scholarship, etc.). I also think that he should have revealed his identity a lot sooner. It's pretty obvious early on in the book who Daddy Long Legs is. I'm surprised someone as smart as Judy couldn't figure it out. His silence to her is frustrating. Even more so when you consider it's the length of four years we’re talking here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy-Long-Legs.

Quotes Audrey Liked

Jean Webster
“It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones--I've discovered the true secret of happiness, Daddy, and that is to live in the now. Not to be for ever regretting the past, or anticipating the future; but to get the most that you can out of this very instant.”
Jean Webster, Daddy-Long-Legs