Ahmed Ejaz's Reviews > The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

bookshelves: 2018, full-lengths

You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out completely dry.
After a long time, this is the first children book I've read. It's a good book. I read this book because of its amazing cover. And the fact that it's my cousin's course book. She lent it to me and I read it in three sittings. And loved it!

It's the story of a bored child, Milo who doesn't find anything interesting in the real world. One day he gets Phantom Tollbooth as present which allows him to go to the Land Beyond. The Land Beyond has two main and important kingdoms, Dictionpolis and Digitopolis. Dictionpolis is ruled by the king of words, Azaz. And Digitopolis is ruled by a Mathemagician. Both kingdoms are at conflict because their kings are biased of their own way of communication. The matters in kingdoms have become worse because of the absence of two princesses, Rhyme and Reason. Milo goes on the quest to save them along with his two companions, a dog and a bug.
Words and numbers are of equal value, for, in the cloak of knowledge, one is warp and the other weft.
=> To be honest, I was expecting it to be very funny. But it had one or two of such moments.
=> I loved Dictionpolis more than Digitopolis. In Dictionpolis, one *literally* eats his own words. LOL!
And in Digitopolis, there is Subtraction Stew. By eating this, you will feel more hungry than before! 😅
=> This book contains some indirect lessons which I think is a good way to represent.
=> The scenes of Silent Valley were the best ones. The way he made it un-silent was incredible.
=> I think the way he rescued the princesses were little bit dull. Not upto my satisfaction.
You can get in a lot of trouble mixing up words or just not knowing how to spell them.

All in all, it's a good book. Recommend it!

23rd July 2018

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Tollbooth.

July 23, 2018 – Started Reading
July 23, 2018 – Shelved
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: full-lengths
July 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Rida (new) - added it

Rida Imran (ON HIATUS) Great review Ahmed! This book has been on my tbr for so long :/

Sheharzad ⚘ those puns are hilarious 🤣 i've just tbr-ed it! lovely review!!

Ahmed  Ejaz Rida wrote: "Great review Ahmed! This book has been on my tbr for so long :/"

Thanks! :)
Read it ASAP! It's short and good.

Ahmed  Ejaz Sheharzad ⚘ wrote: "those puns are hilarious 🤣 i've just tbr-ed it! lovely review!!"

Thanks. :)
Good. Hope you'll like it.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Saif It sounds so clever and witty!!!!

message 6: by Ahmed (last edited Aug 03, 2018 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ahmed  Ejaz Sara wrote: "It sounds so clever and witty!!!!"

It is. ^^