Sam Musher's Reviews > The Boy from Tomorrow

The Boy from Tomorrow by Camille DeAngelis

bookshelves: friendship, historical_read, magic, mg-read, multiple-pov, mystery, time-travel, thriller-mystery

I couldn't put this down! I never read while walking, but I read the last chapter walking home from the subway. It's not an easy thing to maintain suspense in a time travel story in which the present-day character could theoretically look up everything about the historical character's life, but DeAngelis has done it. I never felt that Alec was unrealistically putting off learning about his friend, especially given the thoughtful conversations they had about whether it's better to know the future or not.

Alec and his friend Danny are the kind of boys I love reading: realistically funny and appreciative of fart jokes, while also being emotionally aware, concerned with issues of friendship, and interested in learning about the world. Josie's chapters felt appropriate to the time period but never romanticized. (view spoiler)

This book is perhaps best described as "middle-grade The Time Traveler's Wife," but since that won't work for selling it to kids: I'd say this is for 5th and up (or strong younger readers) who like mysteries with plenty of realistic fiction friendship story and the barest hint of creepiness. Doll Bones or When You Reach Me would be good read-alikes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy from Tomorrow.

July 23, 2018 – Started Reading
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: time-travel
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller-mystery
July 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Megan I also love epilogues! They're so satisfying when they're done well.