Rashaun's Reviews > Radical Hope: Ethics in the Face of Cultural Devastation

Radical Hope by Jonathan Lear

liked it

Radical Hope: Ethics in the Face of Cultural Devastation by Jonathan Lear was a book I would not have read on my own accord. It wouldn't have appealed to me. But I'm glad I did. It gave me insight into the Native American - Crow people (although written by someone who was not crow) that otherwise, I would not have obtained.
From the first to maybe midway through the book the emotion that stayed with me was anger. Anger over learning more about the devastation and erasure of life the United States of America did do a group of people. Anger over what I read as "dismissive" in tone and context of the Crow people from Lear. And anger over not experiencing the Crow People sharing their story. But once I settled my anger, I aimed to focus on what Jonathan Lear wanted to discuss in the text: Radical Hope.
Radical hope in the face of the loss of concepts hit me particularly hard. I couldn't help but relate the experience of the Crow people: scrambling for survival, losing their way of life and working to save and transform the traditions and values that could be salvaged through U.S. colonialism to my own. As an African-American, who not only loss concepts (read: values and ways of living) from his ancestors but the stressful times subjugated our oral history from making its way profoundly to my generation. Although both are horrible, I think John Lear's Radical Hope left me with a new way to interpret courage and hope using both as tools for perseverance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical Hope.

July 10, 2018 – Started Reading