Mark Lawrence's Reviews > Where Oblivion Lives

Where Oblivion Lives by T. Frohock

This is both a stand alone book and a follow up to the three Los Nefilim novellas.

I've only read the first of those novellas, which was excellent:

So that puts me somewhere between the complete newcomer and the reader who has finishing Los Nefilim.

I think Frohock has succeeded in making Where Oblivion Lies accessible to new readers, and that the existence of the trilogy provides a sense of depth and history to the book.

Where Oblivion Lies is set in 1932, primarily in pre-Franco Spain and wandering into pre-Hitler Germany (via France). The sense of period is well conveyed and it all feels convincing to me.

The story concerns the machinations of angels, demons and their offspring, mostly their offspring, the nefilim who are essentially reincarnating, long lived humans, with a magic based around song (not what you're imagining but more to do with powering sigils with the right note or sealing portals with the right music - we're talking classical violin here, not rap battles!).

It's beautifully written. You can rely on Frohock for clear writing and, when the situation demands it, beautiful prose. Frohock also builds strong relationships between characters that you believe in and care about.

The story itself is a slow burn leading to an exciting crescendo with some genuinely creepy vibes.

As a tone deaf musical ignoramus I was still able to enjoy the music based magic and the hunt for a musical key to achieve an important goal. In that respect it was similar to the musical interludes in The Name of the Wind where the quality of the writing carried me through despite my lack of understanding of the fine points of ... notes ... and ... stuff.

I enjoyed reading this and if it sounds interesting to you then it very likely will be!

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Oblivion Lives.

July 23, 2018 – Started Reading
July 23, 2018 – Shelved
August 6, 2018 –
page 65
17.66% ""He has no desire to leave the bed to go wandering through a night made brittle with cold."

Frohock has always been able to turn a nice phrase. Enjoying the book so far."
August 14, 2018 –
page 107
29.08% ""His heart punched his chest with one hard blow after another."

I like that."
September 9, 2018 –
page 277
75.27% "I learned the word "horripilate"!"
September 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Mclendon Can’t wait!!