Julie's Reviews > Someone to Care

Someone to Care by Mary Balogh

bookshelves: 2018

Someone to Care by Mary Balogh is a 2018 Berkley publication.

A lovely tale of second chances- proving it’s never too late to find your happily ever after!

For those following the Wescott series, you will be familiar with Viola and the shocking discoveries that changed her life drastically at an age when starting over is especially difficult. So, when I realized she was the central character in this book was absolutely thrilled!

Viola might be suffering from something akin to panic anxiety disorder and depression. I wouldn’t go so far as to label it PTSD, but she’s been holding her emotions at bay for the sake of her children. However, she’s been showing signs of strain, exhibiting strange behavior, as everything finally caught up with her.

Years ago, Viola skirted the seductive temptations offered her by the notorious womanizer, Marcel Lamarr. But, when the pair meet again, Marcel finds Viola even more desirable and once again attempts to woo her. This time Viola is not ‘married’, and her children have proven to be remarkably resilient, so when Marcel, who has some difficult decisions weighing on his mind, suggests they run away together, Viola makes the impulsive decision to take him up on his offer. Why not? After all, there is no one to care for or about her- or so she thinks.

“You told me to go away,” he said. “But that was fifteen years or so ago. Was there a time limit?”

I loved the romance between Viola and Marcel. Although they are more ‘mature’ characters, they still acted like angsty teenagers at times. Love often feels overwhelming and with all baggage the couple carried, on top of their intrusive family members making the situation even more complicated, it was no surprise the couple wavered and rallied a time or two. I wasn’t especially fond of Marcel in the beginning, I must say. He was not all that impressive, and his attitude was all wrong for Viola. Although his coaxing her into a little risqué behavior was probably cathartic for her, he didn’t have much to lose, while the repercussions for Viola would be enormous if they were ever discovered.

However, as the story progressed, I warmed up to him and even felt sorry for him. He was flummoxed and flustered around Viola which was fun to watch, but he also made the most emotional progress, realizing the consequences of having neglected his two children who became collateral damage after his wife’s untimely death. Turns out there was more substance to him than I had given him credit for.

My only complaint was with the pacing, which was at times excruciatingly slow. Things also got a little too busy with the arrival of concerned and well -meaning family members, which resulted in constant conversation, and really put a damper on Viola and Marcel’s dalliance.

Although some patience was required, the conclusion was beautiful, sweet, and very romantic!

PS: I rarely comment on covers- but this one is just beautiful!
4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone to Care.

July 22, 2018 – Shelved
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 17, 2018 – Started Reading
September 17, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
September 20, 2018 –
September 22, 2018 –
September 23, 2018 –
September 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Lovely review, Julie! :-)

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! :-)"

Thank you, TQ!! 😊😊

message 3: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Great review, as always, Julie!

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Great review, as always, Julie!"

Thank you, Antoinette!! ❤

message 5: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad your patience was rewarded with a great ending, Julie ;) Fabulous review!! 😘❤️

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad your patience was rewarded with a great ending, Julie ;) Fabulous review!! 😘❤️"

Thank you, KAS!! ❤

Carolyn I loved these two characters too! Great review. ;)

message 8: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Great review Julie!

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin It is a lovely cover, Julie. Terrific review!

message 10: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie!🤗💕

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Such a lovely review Julie 🌸

Julie Carolyn wrote: "I loved these two characters too! Great review. ;)"

Thank you, Carolyn! I never miss a book by this author! I love her stories!!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Such a lovely review Julie 🌸"

Thank you, Maureen!!

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!🤗💕"

Thank you, Kaceey!!

Julie Susanne wrote: "Great review Julie!"

Thank you, Susanne!!

Julie Paula wrote: "It is a lovely cover, Julie. Terrific review!"

Thank you, Paula!!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader It is a dreamy cover, Julie! Loved your review!

message 18: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Lovely review Julie! 😊

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "It is a dreamy cover, Julie! Loved your review!"

Thank you, Jennifer!! ❤

Julie Nicola wrote: "Lovely review Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Nicola!! ❤

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol The cover is the first thing I noticed when I stopped by to read review. As you said, it is beautiful. Lovely review Julie.

Julie Carol wrote: "The cover is the first thing I noticed when I stopped by to read review. As you said, it is beautiful. Lovely review Julie."

Thank you, Carol!! 😊😊

message 23: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fantastic review, Julie!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊❤

message 25: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Love your review Julie.

Julie Mackey wrote: "Love your review Julie."

Thank you, Mackey!! ❤❤