megs_bookrack's Reviews > Campfire

Campfire by Shawn Sarles

**3.5-stars rounded up because I feel this book deserves a higher overall rating**

((How's that for honesty?))

When Maddie Davenport heads on a friends and family camping trip she has no idea that it is a trip that will change her life. But we all know what happens when teens go camping.

Y'all, this book is a teen slasher flick come to the page. If you enjoy the campy, bloody, sometimes ridiculous movies like Cabin Fever, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Friday the 13th, House of Wax or Wrong Turn, I think you could enjoy this.

It's all about the mindset you go into a book with. I was looking for a campy, silly slasher that would make me nostalgic for my Junior High years, devouring every Fear Street book I could get my hands on. This did that. It gave me exactly that.

This does definitely read on the younger side of YA so if you aren't into Tween reads, I would steer clear. I would say the ideal audience for this is readers from 7th through 10th grade, which is completely fine. People in that age group deserve to have books too and for a fun, Spooktober read, this is great.

The writing is simplistic and the storyline was easy to follow. There are a ton of flawed characters to hate on so when bodies start dropping, you probably won't shed too many tears.

If you are looking for a quick read, something to remind you of your younger years, when you first started to learn that scaring yourself was fun, you should probably check this one out. I was laughing out loud to the cheesy lines at the end. It was a good time. Glad I picked it up and I feel like you should too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Campfire.

July 22, 2018 – Shelved
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 18, 2019 – Started Reading
October 18, 2019 –
page 34
page 121
39.8% "Well. That scene was depressing AF.
😥😰😱"
page 162
page 162
October 21, 2019 –
page 197
64.8% "This is reminding me so much of the Fear Street days of my youth!! 😊🖤😱"
October 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Eilidh Oooh seeing this in my timeline just brought back Bambi to me! Thank you for that reminisced moment, very good for Spooky season haha! Hope you enjoy it!

megs_bookrack Eilidh wrote: "Oooh seeing this in my timeline just brought back Bambi to me! Thank you for that reminisced moment, very good for Spooky season haha! Hope you enjoy it!" Hahaha, happy to help, Eilidh! Cheers to the spooky season!

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Enjoy luv!💋💖

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Enjoy luv!💋💖" Thank you! It definitely reads on the younger side of YA but I'm here to have fun with it and so far I am!