Ashlee » Library In The Country's Reviews > The Last Hope

The Last Hope by Krista Ritchie

One of my favorite releases of 2018, The Raging Ones, had me at the end of my seat and screaming for more. It's sequel and conclusion, The Last Hope, is quite the fitting end to Court, Mykal and Franny's story. If you haven't read The Raging Ones, beware of possible spoilers to that book ahead.

"I can do a lot of things terribly and a whole lot of things decently and then very few things miraculously."

This duology has always been a little bit science fiction and a little bit fantasy. I think that's one of the reasons I love it. The Last Hope absolutely expands upon the world-building presented in the first book, as well as the history of the Saltare planets and Earth. We get answers about the link and why Court, Mykal and Franny are the only ones with this bond. We also see and learn more about fan favorites such as Court's brother Kinden, Zimmer and the Soarcastle sisters. Finally, we are introduced to a new character, Stork, who is by-far my favorite of this book. He has a huge role to play in the story, despite his somewhat mysterious obligations and origins.

The Last Hope picks up very soon after The Raging Ones ended with that epic cliffhanger. Thank goodness for that! I can't get into too many details of what happens without spoiling the story, but the trio is in dire straights and near the end of the line. They meet the character Stork, who has been searching for the trio. He has the answers they seek, but to earn those answers he needs their help with what is essentially a search and rescue mission. A mission the whole human race is dependent upon.

"You're not my prisoner. I'm not your captor. If you ever want to leave, you can walk out of your own accord. I'll encourage you to stay. It'd be the smarter choice, but I'll never force you to stay here."

As the trio traverses their newfound identities, they also further build their friendships and find romance. This story has always been largely character driven, while taking place in an imaginative and unique setting. The trio is regularly faced with tempering their emotions for the sake of others, while learning how to use their link to their advantage.

I wouldn't say this sequel had a different feel than The Raging Ones, but it certainly opened the story to a far grander world and history than I had originally anticipated. I really, really love how this ended too. Seriously, happiness galore.

Overall, this is definitely still a favorite of mine and I highly recommend this duology!

Thank you to Wednesday Books for sending me a physical ARC, review copy via NetGalley and for inviting me on the blog tour in exchange for an honest review.

Blog || Bookstagram || Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Hope.

July 22, 2018 – Shelved
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 20, 2019 – Started Reading
April 20, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "I have been starving for this book since that ending!

If you haven’t read The Raging Ones yet, put it next on your TBR."
April 21, 2019 –
7.0% "Mykal: ”All right man-boy ...”

Must protect."
April 23, 2019 –
27.0% "YASSSSS."
April 28, 2019 –
92.0% "This book is pummeling my heart and my mind. I am living for all these turns in events."
April 28, 2019 – Finished Reading