Josephine Myles's Reviews > Hard Fall

Hard Fall by James Buchanan

Dec 13, 2011

bookshelves: bdsm, contemporary, favourites-to-read-again, m-m, mystery, romance

I'm so glad I had this book recommended to me, as it was a riveting read. To be perfectly honest, the blurb would have put me off if just browsing as I'm not keen on stories of religious angst, but this was refreshingly low on angst, despite Joe's troubles with the Church of Latter Day Saints.

What you get is sizzling chemistry between older Deputy Joe and young bad boy Kabe, some fascinating rock climbing and crime solving scenes, and a picture of a remote community with all its intolerances and unexpected kindnesses. The real winner for me, though, is Joe's narrative voice. There's a touching poetry in his unsophisticated descriptions of the world around him. He might be a hick, but Joe is an intelligent, observant man with plenty of heart. Watching him find love with Kabe, despite all the obstacles, really warmed my heart.

Oh yes, and did I mention the incredibly hot sex scenes with a frisson of bondage and D/s? They were great too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Fall.

02/22/2016 marked as: read