Colin Marks's Reviews > Give People Money: How Universal Basic Income Could Change the Future--For the Rich, the Poor, and Everyone in Between

Give People Money by Annie Lowrey

bookshelves: netgalley, non-fiction

Annie Lowrey fully supports UBIs (Universal Basic Income) - amongst other ideas, she poses convincing arguments on how it would end poverty, fight racism and gender inequality, make our society able to tackle the pending robotic workforce upheaval, and how it could prevent Trumps and other populist political disasters from reoccurring.

This book comes across like a life mission, it's very well researched and very passionate about the benefits that UBIs could provide. I'm not convinced it had the legs for a book of this size - it would make a good essay but contains too many case studies and facts that aren't needed (though the Forbes review said the opposite - they prefer case studies and wanted less facts - guess you can't please everyone!). For example, there's a chapter about carers: Yep, carers, mostly women, are uncompensated, but it didn't need that many pages labouring on the justification - it's undeniable and didn't need that level of expansion. Also, end of chapter conclusions tend to repeat ideas, as though the book is a collection of essays gelled together into a whole.

Annie's ideas are compelling but the arguments are very one-sided, she fleetingly dabbles with opposing views, but they're quickly dismissed. I would've liked to have seen a chapter or two detailing the critics' biggest concerns, with as much thought given to their arguments as to hers.

Book kindly supplied by Netgalley for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give People Money.

Started Reading
July 21, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: non-fiction
July 22, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 22, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Marina Interesting review. I did make some similar comments to yours - I think she laboured her points just a little too long for my taste - but I suppose if she hadn't , others might say she wasn't rigorous enough!

message 2: by Colin (last edited Jul 23, 2018 12:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Colin Marks Thanks, and yep, I agree! It was interesting that Forbes wanted more case-studies, I would've preferred less (I always think they're made up :) ).