Amie Wills's Reviews > Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible's View of Women

Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey

liked it

I don’t remember how I first learned of this book, but the name intrigued me, so I requested and received it for Christmas. I immediately regretted my decision and let the book sit in a drawer for a year. When I decided it was time to read it I really enjoyed the first few chapters as she gave an overview of female stereotypes in the modern American church. As pages turned, my excitement wained for a few reasons:

1. Her writing style is too flowery for me. This is purely preference, and I acknowledge that.

2. Unless I missed it, it was page 60 before she made a deep dive into Scripture, and even then we came back up to the surface quickly. And similarly...

3. I prefer more exegesis. Scripture is powerful, and there is no shortage of amazing women in the Bible that prove “biblical womanhood” (as she often says) is limited to being a housewife. Especially when your title claims to “revisit the Bible’s view of women.”

4. And perhaps the most upsetting was that - even after reading for half the book that women are not defined by motherhood or marital status - she calls her reader “Mama.” I can look past the sisters, girlfriends, and luvs (again, see my #1), but this just seems insensitive to women who want to be mothers but can’t and the women who have chosen singlehood. Not to mention there might actually be men reading, or does she assume men can’t be feminists? In which case, why write about the man-Jesus who modeled feminism. Rant over.

That’s not to say it’s all bad or there is nothing worth reading. I liked the first few and last few chapters, and I will likely pass this on to a friend. The author is passionate and makes good points that have nothing to do with feminism. Sometimes it felt like the word “feminist” could better be replaced by “social activist.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Feminist.

July 21, 2018 – Shelved