Eric Watson's Reviews > The Lost Heir

The Lost Heir by Tui T. Sutherland

The second book in the Wings of Fire series centers on Tsunami the SeaWing as the Dragonets travel to her homeland. This time we're treated to some lite political intrigue surrounding the mysterious deaths of the Queen's royal daughters, of which Tsunami is a returning surviving heir.

The overall mystery is a bit lackluster and few of the new SeaWing characters are interesting. I also didn't like that most of the dragonets are sidelined for the entire middle of the book, leaving just Tsunami to explore and deal with the new characters and setting. Yet that also gives her a much bigger chance to grow and develop as a character.

I'm giving it four stars like the first one because it's still very well written, with excellent pacing and a good mix of violent action and quiet introspection. I am a bit worried that at this point the books will feel formulaic as the dragonets travel to each different kingdom and end up as prisoners having to escape - thankfully they themselves call that out at the end of this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Heir.

July 21, 2018 – Shelved