Fanna's Reviews > Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism

Women of Resistance by Danielle Barnhart

72205668
This is a major case of "don't go by my rating because you might love it".

When I picked this up, I was so convinced I'm going to love it that for the first 32% of the collection, I wasn't able to form the true opinion of not actually liking it. You know, one of those times when the idea and thought behind a work is amazing and so appreciable that being honest about the actual work makes you feel bad.

The collection claims to touch the issues of feminism but it didn't do well in actually conveying the messages since most of the poems felt a little bland, too organized or absolutely not concised, and boring to be honest. That being said, I wouldn't speak strongly of this judgement of mine since a great number of readers seem to love this collection. So pick it up if it interests you!

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest

Initital Reaction: I had DNFed it in the first go but then gave it a chance and it proved to be fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women of Resistance.

page 40
17.86% "I seem to be liking the prose so much more than the poetry though it's too soon to tell. Some poems probably need a lot of interpretation and I might want to go through them again, some day.

[There are too many shades of blue...The conspicuous blue. The blue of morning. The blue of mourning. The blue of mooring. The blue that's darkness made visible.]"
page 55
24.55% "Finally came across a stanza I really like. I would stick with this for now and see if there are more such poems and more great prose, but if that doesn't happen in a while, I might've to give up on this.

[sometimes when i'm alive now
i can't remember what i've said
but when i feel love
it feels like my heart could stop.]"
page 63
28.13% "No, it's not happening. Maybe I shouldn't have picked up a poetry collection immediately after finishing one. I've read three poems in this, after my previous update, and one doesn't make any sense, I don't quite agree with one, and the other is just a description of a rib that we can/should/i don't know eat. I'll be back to this later~"
July 21, 2018 – Started Reading