Sarah's Reviews > Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris

Initial Impression: I have been reading all of the Florida Teen Reads books for this year over the summer, so this is the first "adult" book I have read in a while. It took me about a chapter or two to change gears, but the concept was intriguing, and not at all what I was expecting. From the beginning, Paris really pulls you in and keeps you there.

Character I’d like to be when I grow up: Esther. She is bad ass in a quiet and unassuming way. I love the way she questions everything.

What I love: Grace's persistence. Her glimpses at what could have been or what she imagined could have been are endearing and make her a very real character. Millie's smarts and wits. The love Grace and Millie have for each other.

What I don’t love: Jack.

This book’s spirit animal: Those little dinosaurs in Jurassic Park that look friendly and innocuous but are vicious and deadly. Really, any animal ever that looks cute and friendly but is really like a pit viper underneath.

Where you should read this: I read this in 2 days while on a cruise with friends and family. My daughter chastised me for reading on the bus to our horseback riding excursion in the Dominican Republic, but it was a 1 hour ride each way. I took in the sights and read! Really, read it anywhere...but be prepared to ignore everything else around you. (I promise I closed it a few times and took in the scenery.)

Who should read this: Anyone who loves a good psychological thriller.

Fave quote: (I'm sure there were other great lines, but in my fervor to get to the end, this is the only time I broke to take a quick snapshot of a page.)

"We go downstairs and in the hall, he takes my coat from the cupboard and holds it open while I slip my arms into it. In the drive outside, he holds the car door for me and waits until I'm in. As he closes it behind me, I can't help thinking it's a shame he's such a sadistic bastard, because he has wonderful manners" (171).

Laugh out loud: Not that kind of book.

Cry: Um? Every turn of the page, but especially after the honeymoon. I won't give it away, but I was eager to get home.

Overall: I loved this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind Closed Doors.

July 16, 2018 – Started Reading