Cheryl's Reviews > The Masterpiece

The Masterpiece by Fiona  Davis

2079470

bookshelves: adult-fiction, historical-fiction, arc-giveaway

Fiona Davis brings to life the story of Grand Central Terminal and the fight to preserve its Landmark status in this historical fiction tale!

The story alternates between the lives of two strong female characters- Virginia Clay who is a 1970’s New York City divorcee trying to resume her life as a single woman, and Clara Darden, an artist and fashion illustrator who is trying to establish her reputation as a talented artist in 1920-1930’s New York City.

The alternating stories of the two women are hard to put down as each one tries to succeed in a society where women’s achievements are secondary to those of their male counterparts. Virginia begins a job at Grand Central Terminal where she accidentally stumbles upon the area formerly occupied by the Grand Central School of Art. She discovers an old watercolor painting and her interest is aroused about its origins. With her background in art history she begins to research the former art school. Clara is the artist who painted the watercolor. It was the preliminary sketch for her masterpiece, The Siren.

Told through the eyes of the two main characters, this story evokes a real sense of place as well as an understanding of the times in which the characters lived. This is a well written, absorbing, and enjoyable novel about relationships, art, ambition, and intrigue!

Thank you to First to Read, Dutton, and author Fiona Davis for giving me the opportunity to read the ARC of this entertaining book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Masterpiece.

Started Reading
July, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 21, 2018 – Shelved
July 21, 2018 – Shelved as: adult-fiction
July 21, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
July 21, 2018 – Shelved as: arc-giveaway

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol I'm very appreciative of your remarks about sense of place Cheryl. I think this is the factor that will put this on my list.
Very fine review as always.

Cheryl Carol wrote: "I'm very appreciative of your remarks about sense of place Cheryl. I think this is the factor that will put this on my list.
Very fine review as always."

Thanks so much, Carol. I hope you’ll enjoy this one as much as I did!

message 3: by Doreen (new)

Doreen I like your review. I received an ARC from BEA 2018. I haven't read it yet, because I let 2 of my coworkers read it first! I loved both, "The Address" and "Dollhouse". I met Fiona Davis at BEA. She's much younger than I thought she would be.

Cheryl Doreen wrote: "I like your review. I received an ARC from BEA 2018. I haven't read it yet, because I let 2 of my coworkers read it first! I loved both, "The Address" and "Dollhouse". I met Fiona Davis at BEA. She..."
Thank you Doreen. I’ll bet it was interesting to have a chance to meet and talk to Fiona Davis. I read and liked both The Dollhouse and The Address too! I think Ms. Davis enjoys writing about some of New York’s landmark buildings, and she does a great job of incorporating them into her novels. Did your coworkers like The Masterpiece? I’m retired from my job as a librarian- I would have loved going to BEA. But now I mostly get ARC’s from Netgalley and First to Read. It’s great that you had the opportunity to attend!

message 5: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Yes, both coworkers loved the "Masterpiece". I have been going to BEA for a few years. I don't know if I'll continue to go in the future. The budget may not allow for it. I just started reading a book, so I'll pick up "The Masterpiece", next! :)

Cheryl Doreen wrote: "Yes, both coworkers loved the "Masterpiece". I have been going to BEA for a few years. I don't know if I'll continue to go in the future. The budget may not allow for it. I just started reading a b..."

Oh I’ll watch for your review! Hope you’ll like this one too!