Julie's Reviews > Dark Paradise

Dark Paradise by Gene Desrochers

bookshelves: 2018, e-book, mystery-shelf

Dark Paradise by Gene Desrochers is a 2018 Acorn publication.

A fresh and compelling mystery with a cast of interesting characters-

Set against the tropical backdrop of the balmy Caribbean island of St. Thomas, this story is centered around Boise Montague, a man who recently lost his wife. Boise needs to get out of LA, regroup, touch base and reconnect with his roots. To that end, he hopes to become reacquainted with an old pal from his childhood. But, when he learns his old friend had fallen into the drug trade and was murdered, Boise feels an intense desire to figure out how his friend’s life took such a terrible turn and how he ended up dead. Thus, begins an investigation that will unearth more than one shocking crime and keep Boise in a constant state of unease and danger.

This mystery was exactly the change of pace I’ve been craving. The location is different, the characters are quite different from any I’ve encountered in recent memory. The plot is also extraordinary. The story has the feel of a crime drama, while the atmosphere captures the tropics and the underbelly of Caribbean paradise.

Boise is so real and also very sympathetic. He’s got a few extra pounds, some health issues, and a thing for Guinness beer. He’s lost, showing definitive symptoms of depression, but perhaps he’s found a way to begin putting his demons behind him. The secondary characters are very well written and add a tremendous amount of depth and authenticity to the story, especially Dana. I found the mystery to be very absorbing and challenging to me since it was not written in a dull, formulaic format.

Don’t get me wrong, this is not an ‘outside the box’ type of story, it’s just got a different sort of vibe that is like a breath of fresh air. I could grow to like Boise and can see where his character and this series could really develop. This debut novel lays a solid foundation for any subsequent installments, which I do hope will be forthcoming.

Boise proves it is hard to come home again, that time doesn't stand still, but maybe it could be that the island needs Boise, just as much as he needed it.
4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Paradise.

July 21, 2018 – Shelved
July 21, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 21, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
July 21, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
July 21, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
August 2, 2018 – Started Reading
August 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Norma * Traveling Sister Sounds good and wonderful review, Julie!

message 2: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this was a challenging mystery you really enjoyed, Julie! Super review, and glad you discovered a new author to enjoy :) 😘

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Terrific review, Julie! Glad it was enjoyable ☺️

message 4: by Fran (new)

Fran Awesome review, Julie!

message 5: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Fabulous review, Julie xx

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Very good review, Julie!

message 7: by Meredith (new)

Meredith You got me with fresh and compelling, Julie! Fabulous review--I'm going to take a look at this one!

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Sounds good and wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Norma!! 😊

Julie Diane wrote: "Very good review, Julie!"

Thank you, Diane!! 😊

Julie Meredith wrote: "You got me with fresh and compelling, Julie! Fabulous review--I'm going to take a look at this one!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie xx"

Thank you, Paromjit!! 😊

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad this was a challenging mystery you really enjoyed, Julie! Super review, and glad you discovered a new author to enjoy :) 😘"

Thank you, KAS!! 😊

Julie Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! Glad it was enjoyable ☺️"

Thank you, Kristin!! 😊

Julie Fran wrote: "Awesome review, Julie!"

Thank you, Fran!! 😊😊

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Sometimes stepping outside of the typical is just what we need! Glad this one worked out for you. Nice review, Julie. 😊

Julie Melissa wrote: "Sometimes stepping outside of the typical is just what we need! Glad this one worked out for you. Nice review, Julie. 😊"

Thank you, Melissa!! 😊

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Julie. Your last paragraph about home is amazing. ♥️

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Julie. Your last paragraph about home is amazing. ♥️"

Thank you, Jennifer!! 😊

message 19: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Great review, Julie!

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊

message 21: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Wonderful review Julie! This book/series looks good! :)

message 22: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson Great review Julie! I know exactly what you mean about needing a change too. 😊

message 23: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds great Julie, as usual a terrific review 😊

Julie Sandra wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! This book/series looks good! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!! 😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "Great review Julie! I know exactly what you mean about needing a change too. 😊"

Thank you, Nicola!! It's good to mix things up once in a while. 😊

Julie Maureen wrote: "Sounds great Julie, as usual a terrific review 😊"

Thank you, Maureen!!😊