Ryan Summers's Reviews > Daisy's Choice

Daisy's Choice by Mike  Owens

Emotional and thought-provoking story. I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Daisy Sugarbush starts out the story as her dad’s shadow. A true tomboy, she’d rather be fixing things with him or going places with him or hanging out with the guys. Her mother is resigned to the fact that her daughter is not likely to become a ‘lady’.

Then Daisy’s beloved dad is stolen by cancer. Daisy and her mother are driven further apart than ever. In an attempt to re-connect with her daughter, Rhoda–Daisy’s mom–takes her out for a makeover. She gets dresses and feminine clothes to replace those old work shirts and ratty jeans. She gets heels, her hair done, nails, the works, all to change her from a tomboy to a young lady of refinement. And it works! Daisy starts to enjoy the reactions of her new look.

Tragedy soon strikes the Sugarbush household again and Daisy is horribly burned in a freak gas fire. For months she languishes in the Trauma Burn Unit and finally the rehab center. She begs everyone to please be spared the painful and endless treatments to her charred skin. Blind, crippled, and disfigured, she only wants to be allowed to die quickly in peace. No more pain!

Mom Sugarbush won’t hear of it. The treatments persist. And so does Daisy’s desire to escape her miserable life. Then she finally goes home with a plan of how to succeed in her choice.

This could easily be a work of non-fiction. The struggles that burn survivors go through is agonizing and it would be natural to want to escape it for a peaceful passing. Daisy does the victims of burn trauma a fine justice with her character behavior. Reading “Daisy’s Choice” could get one’s thoughts going on the ethics of allowing a loved one to have their wishes granted if what happened to Daisy really happened to them. Or if it happened to oneself and they were left with a bleak–at best–prognosis.

Unfortunately the story was also rift with errors and pacing issues that distracted from the emotional impact of Daisy’s story. One secondary character was Charlie or Charley–I’m not sure which as both were used. There was also frequent repeated words in the same paragraph where alternating with similar ones could have livened the writing up. And there were many situations where too much backstory interrupted the showing by breaking in and telling for several paragraphs before resuming the story again. It dragged the story down and led to a herky-jerky feeling at times.

Through it all, despite the work being fiction, I could not help but wonder at the ethical issues being raised. Feeling Daisy’s pain and despair as I did, I had to question if it were me, what would I want? If it were a loved one, would I agree to their choices or override them? Those are some tough questions.

An unexpected twist at the end took me by surprise. All in all, style and errors aside, this is a remarkable book that I can recommend–along with some tissues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daisy's Choice.

Finished Reading