E. H. Nathasia's Reviews > Gone: A Girl, a Violin, a Life Unstrung

Gone by Min Kym

'All my life my Stradivarius had been waiting for me, as I had been waiting for her . . .'

This is a love story.

I was very intrigued with the book, reading its excerpt and reviews in Goodreads. I am glad that I was chosen to received a free copy from Times Reads and to review it.

This is a love story, but a love between a girl and her violin. Min Kym was the youngest ever pupil at the Purcell School of Music. At 11 she won her first international prize. She was a prodigy, her talent was recognised, and she was off to an optimistic future.

Her violin is the instrument for her to channel and share her geniuses. Without it, she is lost.

As it happened, her violin, a rare 1696 Stradivarius was stolen.

And her life began moving downhill.

This is a story of a Korean girl who moved to London to pursue her dream. Her life filled with isolation, of love, loss and betrayal, and the intense, almost human bond that a musician has with their instrument. But being gifted doesn't mean, she is not without weakness. She still goes through the pain of being manipulated by the man she loves.

I finished reading this over the weekend. Min Kym suggests that the book is read while listening to her album. She inserts a symbol of a music note in certain areas in the book, so that the reader knows when to play the song she suggested. I attempted to listen to it while reading, but I find it distracting. I was focusing more on the music than what I read. But I would recommend for you readers to try it out, okay.

Oh, did I mentioned that I love the book?
I LOVE the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

July 21, 2018 – Started Reading