JanB 's Reviews > Night of Miracles

Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg

bookshelves: netgalley

It has been a while since I was so charmed and taken by a story. I loved The Story of Arthur Truluv and now we have Night of Miracles, which is the delightful sequel. It would work as a standalone but do yourself a favor and read Arthur Truluv first. I read/listened to this in one day.

Elizabeth Berg is one of my favorite authors. I’ve been following her since back in the day when my children were young and she wrote a column for Parents Magazine. She is one of the few authors who has a way of eloquently putting into words what many of us feel in our hearts.

The story centers around the small town of Mason, Missouri. Lucille is back and Maddy and her daughter make a cameo appearance. Several new characters are introduced, people I’d love to have as my friends and neighbors. They have their struggles and heartaches just like any of us but they deal with them with grace, humor, wisdom, and love. By the end, each will get their own small (and not so small) miracle.

From Elizabeth’s web page, in answer to the question about her inspiration for this series says:
“I found myself becoming increasingly depressed about the way the world seems to be going. I wanted to write myself out of my own funk, to remind myself of the beauty in the world, and in small things.”

This is a series that will restore your faith in human goodness. It is sweet and funny; sad yet also uplifting. Who doesn’t need more of that in our lives?

*Many thanks to Netgalley and Random House for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
* This is also excellent on audio. E Berg was wonderful as the narrator.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of Miracles.

July 20, 2018 – Shelved
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 26, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
November 15, 2018 – Started Reading
November 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fantastic review Jan!:-)

Marialyce Over the moon happy that you loved this one, Jan! Wonderful review of a lovely book!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review, Jan! Glad that you enjoyed it.

JanB Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review Jan!:-)"

Thanks Kaceey! 😊

JanB Marialyce wrote: "Over the moon happy that you loved this one, Jan! Wonderful review of a lovely book!"

Thanks Marialyce! I also received the files from the publisher with those recipes and I now want to try them. All the talk of her eating and baking made me hungry 😊

JanB Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Wonderful review, Jan! Glad that you enjoyed it."

Thanks Mary Beth, they are both just great!

message 7: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse I keep getting Elizabeth Berg and Elizabeth Gilbert confused! I always see Berg and think of The Signature of All Things which I didn't like but that's by Gilbert! I haven't read a Berg novel yet! lol. But I have 3 ARCs that aren't "advanced" anymore. lol

JanB Elyse wrote: "I keep getting Elizabeth Berg and Elizabeth Gilbert confused! I always see Berg and think of The Signature of All Things which I didn't like but that's by Gilbert! I haven't read a Berg novel yet! ..."

Elyse, haha...noooo, they couldn't be more different as authors! And I have a few of those "ARCs" myself 😉😂

message 9: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse JanB wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I keep getting Elizabeth Berg and Elizabeth Gilbert confused! I always see Berg and think of The Signature of All Things which I didn't like but that's by Gilbert! I haven't read a Be..."

Well, that's good to know! I'm hopefully going to read both Arthur Truluv books soon!

JanB Elyse wrote: "JanB wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I keep getting Elizabeth Berg and Elizabeth Gilbert confused! I always see Berg and think of The Signature of All Things which I didn't like but that's by Gilbert! I have..."

Elyse, I think you will really like them....I'll be watching for your reviews 😊

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I like that is was uplifting. Wonderful review!

Norma * Traveling Sister Fabulous review, Jan! Sounds like a good one!

JanB Holly wrote: "I like that is was uplifting. Wonderful review!"

Holly, thanks! "Uplit" is fabulous sub-genre isn't it? :)

JanB Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review, Jan! Sounds like a good one!"

Thank you Norma, it really is!

message 15: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Excellent review, Jan. I don’t think this one is for me, but glad you loved it.

message 16: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Your review was equally eloquent. Glad you loved it, too.

Angela M Beautiful review, Jan. I liked the first book better but definitely agree that we all need more of the uplifting in our lives !

message 18: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Lovely review Jan! Sounds really good! I keep wondering why I have’t read one of her novels yet!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Lovely review 💟😊💟

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy This sounds enchanting, Jan. Enjoyed your review!

message 21: by Alecia (new)

Alecia Nice review, Jan. I loved Arthur Truluv also (thanks to your recommendation, if I remember correctly) and have this one en route to my library.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Absolutely- we definitely need more of that in our lives, Jan. Love this review and this book as well. ♥️

message 23: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Lovely review, Jan 💖

Jayme I enjoyed both books too! Thanks for sharing Ms. Berg’s inspiration from her web page!

JanB Susanne wrote: "Lovely review Jan! Sounds really good! I keep wondering why I have’t read one of her novels yet!"

Susanne, I'm wondering the same thing, lol. You need to fix that and pick up Arthur Truluv. You won't be sorry!

Angela M wrote: "Beautiful review, Jan. I liked the first book better but definitely agree that we all need more of the uplifting in our lives !"

Angela, thank you! if I had to pick one I'd pick the first too. Arthur himself is a character hard to beat. Who could compare? But I enjoyed this one for different reasons.

Liz wrote: "Your review was equally eloquent. Glad you loved it, too."

Liz, what a sweet thing to say - thank you!!🤗

Debbie wrote: "Excellent review, Jan. I don’t think this one is for me, but glad you loved it."

Thank you Debbie, that's a very generous comment 😊

JanB *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Lovely review 💟😊💟"

Thank you, I just read your review and loved it! I'm glad we both loved these books!

message 27: by JanB (last edited Nov 17, 2018 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JanB Jayme wrote: "I enjoyed both books too! Thanks for sharing Ms. Berg’s inspiration from her web page!"

Thanks Jayme, I just loved her reason for writing these books and I think she was very successful in accomplishing what she set out to do. 💕

Felicia wrote: "Lovely review, Jan 💖"

Thanks Felicia!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Absolutely- we definitely need more of that in our lives, Jan. Love this review and this book as well. ♥️"

Thanks Jennifer, and amen to that! I'm glad you enjoyed this one too! 💕

Alecia wrote: "Nice review, Jan. I loved Arthur Truluv also (thanks to your recommendation, if I remember correctly) and have this one en route to my library."

Alecia, It's good in a different way than Arthur Truluv but I enjoyed both books. I hope you do too 😊

Tammy wrote: "This sounds enchanting, Jan. Enjoyed your review!"

Thanks Tammy! 😊

Jaline - (on 2/3 hiatus) Beautiful review, Jan! Lucky for me, if you enjoyed it, I will, too!! But first, I need to meet up with Arthur Truluv . . . soon, I hope! :)

Andrea Oh Jan, me too! I have adored Elizabeth Berg’s turn of phrase since I stumbled upon her in my early 20’s. She’s got such a talent in finding words when words are insufficient. I’m happy you loved this one,I imagine loving it too!!

JanB Jaline wrote: "Beautiful review, Jan! Lucky for me, if you enjoyed it, I will, too!! But first, I need to meet up with Arthur Truluv . . . soon, I hope! :)"

Jaline, aren't you sweet? Thank you! You do need to meet Arthur and he will convince you there's still much goodness in the world 😊

JanB Andrea wrote: "Oh Jan, me too! I have adored Elizabeth Berg’s turn of phrase since I stumbled upon her in my early 20’s. She’s got such a talent in finding words when words are insufficient. I’m happy you loved t..."

Andrea, yes, exactly! I loved her then, I love her now. She is talented in mining our emotions and honing in on how we feel. I do think you would love both Arthur and this one. I hope you get a chance to read them both! :)

message 32: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Terrific review, Jan!

JanB Jen wrote: "Terrific review, Jan!"

Thanks Jen!

message 34: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I really hope to read this soon. Lovely review <3

Andrea I LOVED Arthur Truluv. Makes me wish I still had a grandparent.

message 36: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Jan! This sounds like a book I need to read!

JanB Deanna wrote: "I really hope to read this soon. Lovely review <3"

Thank you Deanna, I hope you get a chance t read it soon. Such a heartwarming book 💕

JanB Andrea wrote: "I LOVED Arthur Truluv. Makes me wish I still had a grandparent."

Oh Andrea, then you will love revisiting these characters. I no longer have a grandparent - but I am now a grandparent, and it's the best job in the world 💕

JanB Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Jan! This sounds like a book I need to read!"

Meredith, yes it is! But read Arthur Truluv first 😊

Karen Fantastic review Jan!! Such a sweet book!

JanB Karen wrote: "Fantastic review Jan!! Such a sweet book!"

Thanks Karen, yes it was! 💕

Julie Wonderful review, Jan!! 💖

JanB Julie wrote: "Wonderful review, Jan!! 💖"

Thanks Julie! :)

message 44: by Selena (new) - added it

Selena Beautiful review Jan!!!!

Andrea Ditto on everything single word of your review! Sigh, what lovely characters. I will miss them.

Janet C-B Wonderful review. I look forward to reading this book.

JanB Selena wrote: "Beautiful review Jan!!!!"

Thanks Selena, I'm glad we both loved this one :)

JanB Andrea wrote: "Ditto on everything single word of your review! Sigh, what lovely characters. I will miss them."

Andrea, thank you! I loved your review but I suppose Elizabeth hasn't taken you up on your offer yet? Too bad! lol

JanB Janet C-B wrote: "Wonderful review. I look forward to reading this book."

Janet C-B, thank you, I hope you love it. If you haven't already, do read Arthur Truluv first.

Nancy Wonderful review. I have been looking forward to this sequel. This summer , I was lucky enough to see Elizabeth and hear her read a bit from this book It was a wonderful experience to finally see someone who I have admired for so long.

« previous 1