Rhonda's Reviews > Monsters of L.A.

Monsters of L.A. by Lisa Morton

1197659
Dec 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2012
Read from December 27, 2011 to January 05, 2012

In Monsters of L.A., Lisa Morton takes twenty “monsters” (some more known than others) and adds her own spin on their stories based on her experiences in Los Angeles. For example, this collection starts off with a very well-known monster, Frankenstein. However, Morton’s Frankenstein doesn’t come with bolts in the side of his head, but rather is a Vietnam vet that suffered a lot of physical ailments in his past that involved him being pieced back together, and earning him the name “Frank” from a lot of people. At the end of this collection of stories, Morton details a bit about who/what influenced the stories she wrote in this book and the story behind Frankenstein, in particular, is very touching.

Additional stories in this collection that I truly loved I’ll list below, in no particular order, with a brief description:

“Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde” – Dr. Jekyll in this story is in the process of creating a new method for gender reassignment, but instead of testing it out on animals, decides to test it out on herself with some adverse effects. She isn’t aware at first of what all goes on after she injects herself, but soon learns.

“Dracula” – Dracula is an actor in this story and doesn’t get along so well with his co-star, Eddie, which leads to some major tension. Not only was this story fun, but it also made me groan out loud! I won’t say why and give things away, but if you read this story you will definitely figure it out!

“The Killer Clown” – With my fear of clowns, I was dreading getting to this story in the collection. As expected, it made me even more afraid of clowns, as the girl in the story is practically terrorized by numerous clowns while at a liquor store.

These are just a few examples of the amazing contents of this book. I am typically not a fan of short stories, but Morton has made me second guess myself on this opinion with her stand-out collection. Do yourself a favor and check out this Stoker-nominated collection! Highly recommended for all library collections.

Contains: Adult Language & Adult Situations

Review also posted at MonsterLibrarian dot com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of L.A..

12/27/2011 page 1
01/01/2012 page 209
65.0% "Only three more stories to go, but it's too close to bedtime to read about a Killer Clown. Eek!"
show 2 hidden updates…