Jennifer's Reviews > Devil's Luck

Devil's Luck by Carolyn Crane

Dec 13, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, 2012-favorites, urban-fantasy, kindle

Loved loved loved this book! Except it was too short and now it's over...

I am not sure how to objectively review this book, because it felt so incredibly personal to me. The main characters, Simon and Fawna (from the Disillusionists trilogy), experience feelings and revelations, a connection of sorts, that just rings so true to me. I really doubt that it rings true for everyone who would read the book. But I was totally swept away - my heart actually raced! - by the intensity of the revelations they had.

I probably can't say much without giving away the plot of this short e-book, so I suppose this may be spoilery - read at your own risk! When Fawna came to the realization that even though she could see the future!, that she could still control her own choices, that fate is never locked in, that there is power and freedom in choice - this is so powerful and so true to me. I was very moved by this short book for that reason. Crane drew me in so quickly to the white hot intensity of feeling these two people experienced, I am unable to distance myself enough from that feeling to consider this book objectively. I just... loved it.

Yes, there is a romance here - it is a short work and there is not a lot of room for more than the story of these two people and how they become connected. But somehow, this is more than a romance, it's a beautiful story about two people who are on incredible journeys of their own, and who happen to find each other along the way. It's the very best kind of love story. I recommend this - it stands on its own, but would probably be more enjoyable if you had read the Disillusionists trilogy first, as these characters have a little history there.

I subscribed to Carolyn Crane's newsletter and she actually sent subscribers a link to download this e-book free, before it was available for purchase, which is just all kinds of awesome. I am such a fan now of Carolyn Crane - and I CAN'T WAIT for what she publishes next!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Luck.

December 13, 2011 – Shelved
February 27, 2012 – Started Reading
February 27, 2012 –
79.0% "So. Freaking. Awesome."
February 28, 2012 – Shelved as: kindle