Zee's Reviews > The Diary of a Nobody

The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith

liked it
bookshelves: classics, ebook, 1001challenge, booksread2011

Meet Mr. Charles Pooter, perfectly average in everyway. In fact, he doesn't really like being average as he does have his snobbish moments, but he certainly isn't a 'nobody' either. He is rather just one of us, a person trying to get ahead in life and be as successful as he can be in the face of life's little embarrassing disasters. And believe you me there are plenty of those in this book!

This is his diary, wherein he faithfully records all of the aforementioned moments as well as the stress of moving into a new house. British comedy is famous for its sarcasm and dry wit, and 'The Diary of a Nobody' has this in spades as it was written by George Grossmith, a rather famous comedian of his time. The humour here is of the domestic variety, and includes sharp observations of moments between long-married couples like the Pooters whose spats are not funny at the time of happening but become so in retrospect.

All families have their dysfuntional side, and the Pooter 'black sheep' is none other than Lupin, the son - a young, cad about town with a bad work ethic and a penchant for making money fast through dubious means. Like most fathers, Charles Pooter is seriously concerned for the boy as he can't seem to hold down a job and has taken to slang and the courting of chorus girls. Attached to the Pooter household are the maids and two longstanding friends Cummings and Gowing, who arrive whenever they want and always manage to finish off Mr. Pooter's spirits.

The problem with Pooter, (or rather the sad part of it) is that he is an intelligent man, but for some reason is never entirely taken seriously by his friends or even his wife and son. Everyone is making jokes at his expense and his own jokes aren't all that good. He is rather a sensitive character, and comes across as a bit of a pushover. In fact, this character does remind me a little of Kenneth Williams of 'Carry On' fame thrown in with a large helping of John Cleese.

All in all rather funny in a quaint way. Despite being written in the late 1800's, it is very easy to read and relate to. I feel sorry for Mr. Pooter! I swear I know someone like this in real life...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Nobody.

December 12, 2011 – Started Reading