Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)'s Reviews > The Hazel Wood

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

did not like it
bookshelves: library, booktubeathon-2018

Gday, how you doing? It’s time for me to write about why this book for F*cking Sh*t.

Everything about this book lead me to believe it would be this amazing high fantasy.

Also hi Alice’s Mum deserves no love from her daughter, who was clearly been gaslit and abused her entire life.

OH! And let’s talk about Alice. The main character. Aka the worst and most confusing character I’ve ever read. How is she a full character? How? This book. Was awful.

The writing was so confusing and unsettling.

It made 0 sense 100% of the time.

Everything was ambiguous with loose ends.

Seriously— how was this story pitched? I don’t understand the sequence of events.

I’m so confused and that makes me angry.

This book put me in a book slump for a month.

I hate writing this Trump-esque review, because the author is lovely.

But god damnit.

This book.

I’m hurt. I’ve been mislead. I just put up with the worst teen romance and mystery ever, FYI.

This book accomplished nothing except for my distrust to blurbs.

Can I please hire somebody to read “high” fantasy books for me and to let me know if they’re decent???

Also this book just glorified and shat on rich New York kids and I still don’t understand why????

Like why did any of that have to do with the mystery and the fantasy world?? Oh, I know: it didn’t.

It’s like this book was written by a new author for every chapter, but none of them had agreed what the book was about and so they just pretended to keep writing on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hazel Wood.

July 20, 2018 – Shelved
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: library
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: booktubeathon-2018
November 2, 2018 –
page 49
13.65% "I thought this would be a high fantasy… it’s not. So far it’s just a contemporary and a reverse of Cinderella; an evil step dad, and a drugged out hippie for a mother.

It’s sad."
November 3, 2018 – Started Reading
November 13, 2018 –
page 127
35.38% "Still searching for the mum.

Still haven’t entered a fantasy realm.

Oh dear, this is not what I signed up for."
November 24, 2018 –
page 127
35.38% "Help I haven't picked this up in weeks"
November 28, 2018 –