Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)'s Reviews > Tempests and Slaughter

✨ For more book-focused fun, check out my socials: ✨
Bomb Ass Header
📚 Blog | BookTube | GR Groups: YA Hub | Twitter 📚

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE BOOK:
This book is beautifully written. I enjoyed Pierce’s style, more than most.

CHARACTERS/DYNAMICS:
Arram: Arram is our main character. He’s a POC, and fighting against the prejudice everyday. He’s smart and quick, which angers all of his professors even more. Overall, I found Arram to be what I wished Harry Potter was (ie NOT annoying).

Orzone: Orzone is a smol bean who is misunderstood and the forgotten prince. In the younger years, he is kind and sweet to Arram. It’s only the final chapters, where his true colours about slavery and other cruel elitist attitudes appear, which turned me off his character. As this book is a prequel to the main series, I’m guessing Orzone plays a significant role in future series’.

Varice: I thought the female best friend/love interest would have a larger role, but alas, I felt as if she was unimportant. I did find her and Arram cute in the first few years of school.

PLOT:
I’ll be honest; I feel like nothing happens. But I didn’t care. It was a slower, better developed initiation to Hogwarts. I enjoyed the discursive scenes about slavery, racism and classism.

STRUCTURE:
This book is written in third person, and many chapters are sectored into school terms at Arram’s school.

THEMES:
- Racism
- Classism
- Elitism
- Magic ooh
- Pretty writing

THE ENDING:
I didn’t feel as if there was a cliff hanger. I am curious to see how evil Orzone becomes…

IMPACT:
20 pages into this book, I knew: I will buy this book. I am usually reserved about buying books, but this one is a keeper. I want to reread this purely for the relaxing writing style and mystical fantasy realm. Plus, libraries. Libraries mentioned in books = my new fave book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempests and Slaughter.

July 20, 2018 – Shelved
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: library
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: booktubeathon-2018
December 6, 2018 –
page 16
3.44% "This reminds me of In Other Lands. I’m enjoying Pierce’s writing."
December 6, 2018 –
page 155
33.33% "This is everything I wanted Harry Potter to be."
December 7, 2018 – Started Reading