Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)'s Reviews > Lifel1k3

Lifel1k3 by Jay Kristoff

bookshelves: library, booktubeathon-2018, series-to-buy

Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's Constant Raving Reviews

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE BOOK:
This was my first read for Booketubeathon 2018– and it started with a bang! I LOVE THIS BOOK. It is easily my fave for 2018. Bam. Nothing else will top this book. In fact, I think it’s better than the Illuminae Files. And I freaking LOVE the Illuminae Files.

CHARACTERS/DYNAMICS:
Evie/Ana: *insert a gif of an Italian kissing their fingers*. Oh 👏 my 👏 god 👏. The best character evolution I’ve ever seen. I am partial, however, because she represents my two passions in life: The Romanov Dynasty, IN A SCI FI WORLD. My mind is blown. I cannot comprehend my love for Kristoff’s creation. Perfect. Beautiful. Life changing.

Zeke: OooooooOooh I was extremely confused on where I stood for this mofo. I still don’t know. Zeke was the reason I went from beginning this book with a “who the hell cares about robots” to “goddamn it’s not fair everybody should die for the sake of his happiness”. Zeke creates many plot twists for the story, and I enjoyed his unpredictability. He’s the atypical Hero in any romance, but with a genuinely conflicting context for loyalty.

Lemon: Yo. What’s up with this girl. My crackpot theory is: (view spoiler) She was abandoned by her family and raised as an orphan. I freaking love the mystery of Anastasia Romanov. I LIVE for her story. It’s certainly not over.

Cricket: did anybody else imagine Cricket as a metallic version of Jimminy Cricket? K, just me? Cool. Anyways, I warmed up to Cricket. I wasn’t crazy about him in the beginning, but the ending when Silas holds him… my heart broke. And then melted (when he “grew”). ❤️❤️❤️

Silas/Grandpa: honestly, I wish there was some sort of prequel about Silas and Nicholas (PS JAY KIRSTOFF I CANT SAY IT ENOUGH THANK YOU FOR USING THE ROMANOVS IN YOUR STORY IT IS MY ALLTIME FAVOURITE THING AND THE FACT THAT YOU HAD IT IN A SCI FI NOVEL MAKES ME WANT TO CRY AND LEGALLY MARRY MYSELF TO THIS BOOK). Silas was such a sneaky liars. The way it was revealed at the end with Myriad leads me to believe everything’s going to end up being in the Matrix. I trust nothing and nobody.

PLOT:
The first hundred pages had me less engaged than the rest of the book. I mean, really who gives a damn about the rat pack boys from the junk yard? Also— what ever happened to the Brotherhood??? They just disappeared after Part 2.

STRUCTURE:
Part 1: Hi, I’m Evie. I fight robots. Here’s my sketchy neighbourhood.
Part 2: I’m in love! Who am I? Oh, I’m: In Love.
Part 3: Mad Max and Cowboy Bounty Hunter Action Scenes (ps epic robodog).
Part 4: Pain for me, pain for you, pain for everybody in this room.

THEMES:
- Identity

QUOTES:
*insert the entire book*

THE ENDING:
I’m REELING. That happened way to fast. I am so upset at Ana. She’s … she’s throwing it all away. SHE IS THAT GIRL. SHE. IS. How does she not understand that??? After trying to get the message across to the lifelikes?!? ARGH!!! I NEED BOOK 2 NOW. Also... I need a hug. And for Silas to wipe my memory so I can reread this again and have my heart ripped out... again.

IMPACT:
My love for sci fi has rekindled. My appreciation to Australian YA authors has been strengthened. My insanity has heightened and I will be worshipping this book every night before I sleep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lifel1k3.

July 20, 2018 – Shelved
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: library
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 23, 2018 – Shelved as: booktubeathon-2018
page 0
0.0% "Booktubeathon Read #1"
page 90
22.39% "I was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I am!!!"
page 156
38.81% "Just a thought… Monrovas = Romanovs.

Right? Or am I seeing parallels that don’t exist bc I’m an obsessed history student-teacher?"
page 203
50.5% "Okay… a lot happened in Part 2!

Evie found out her real identity and family history. We find out who Zeke is. Lemon went on a detour. And the other lifelike’s made me bawl my eyes out (Ralph talking about Pinocchio)."
page 249
61.94% "This is extremely eventful and fun and TERRIFYING"
July 30, 2018 – Started Reading
July 30, 2018 –
page 310
77.11% "<spoiler>Zeke shot Ana!!!</spoiler> I wanna cry."
July 30, 2018 –
page 319
79.35% "<spoiler>I KNEW something would be up with Lemon!!!</spoiler>"
July 31, 2018 – Finished Reading