Chrissy♥Dev 's Reviews > That Summer

That Summer by Sarah Dessen

Dec 12, 2011

bookshelves: romance, chick-lit, young-adult

I really liked this book, not only because it reminded me of my family but also because it has a common theme with my life right now which is change. Some of us are afraid of it and some seek and crave it. the ending of the book made me think of me and my sister in the future.

Starts with our main character Havan she's fifteen and her life is changing WAAAY to fast. She cant keep up with it all. In one summer she faces her parents divorce, her dad remarrying, her sister getting married, she is ^ feet tall and doesn't know how to feel about her body and her mother leaving on a trip to Europe. With all these changes her felt she has been on a roller coaster of a ride and no one really cared to ask how it affected her. This summer is the one that changes her forever. She learns to cope with the changes, at first she lets everyone and everything to be and do as they please but then everything starts to overwhelm her and she refutes. The only one person from her past her felt that can keep her sane and remember the old ways is Sumner Lee. As he enters her life she feels that he is the only one that can understand her. Havan learns that the people who is her mind she has chosen to believe might be wrong and before her sister get married her will learn that through all of their fights and arguments her sister always understood her.

Its a really great example of how change can effect a person. I know that this book will come up in my mind in the future when i look back at my childhood and think about my own sister.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Summer.

December 12, 2011 – Shelved
May 2, 2012 –
page 105
May 3, 2012 –
page 142
68.27% "Finally got some time to read hopefully I finish it today!"
May 3, 2012 – Finished Reading