Bmquiram's Reviews > The Girl in the Letter

The Girl in the Letter by Emily Gunnis

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read July 30, 2018 to August 5, 2018.

The Girl in the Letter by Emily Gunnis
Rating 4 out of 5 stars

Summary

Sam and her four-year-old daughter are living with her grandmother because she is having marriage troubles and is taking a break from her husband Ben. She is struggling to make a name for herself as a journalist while living the life of a single mother. When she finds a faded old letter in her grandmother's house she thinks she has found the story that will catapult her to the top of the industry. She end’s up following lead after lead before she uncovers a startling part of history.

Kitty Cannon is keeping a secret and that secret is tearing her soul apart. She is desperate for someone, anyone to admit their role in the life-altering event she can’t forget; no matter how hard she tries.

Comments and opinion

I loved this book from the beginning until the end. I would love to watch it as a movie or even better a mini-series on television. The story is one of the best I have read in quite a while. Every chapter had something in it that I enjoyed and most had aspects that I loved.

The author did an exceptional job of mixing drama and suspense with historical information. One chapter would get to my emotions and I would be so close to tears. The next chapter would have me on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. The author somehow managed to mix historically relevant details into the text. Even though the story was fiction, it was based on history and it read as if it was a first-hand retelling of a personal story. Simply great.

The one criticism I have is that the story is written using British slang. Every time the slang was used I took a second to pause and interpret the meaning of the word. This caused me to break from the story and the emotional connection. The author would mention a character using a walking frame and I had to stop to recollect that this was a walker for the elderly. Another example was when a character would use a torch and I would pause to realize the character was using a flashlight. Half one was used for half-past one and biog was used for a biography of bio. There were several words that caused pause and kept me for giving this the best rating possible, but it is a story that I would recommend to anyone interested in drama, suspense, or fiction that reads as historical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Letter.

July 19, 2018 – Shelved
July 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 30, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 5, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)