Kirstie's Reviews > Roadside Crosses

Roadside Crosses by Jeffery Deaver

bookshelves: crime, murder-mystery, strong-female-characters, thriller

A killer is announcing his attacks by setting up roadside crosses with future dates on them ahead of time. The race is on for CBI agent Kathryn Dance to find each victim before they are taken and track down the killer.

Kathryn Dance is once again awesome, using her knowledge of kinesics to not just root the truth out of the guilty but the witnesses who omit details to save their own reputation and the like too. She also does a fair amount of field work chasing down the bad guys and dealing with self interested people blocking the way. And all this crime fighting while being a single Mum.

Just like the first book we have a deeply twisty plot, but in addition to the crime itself we also have some lingering issues from one of the villains in the prior book to deal with. I like how every time you thought the main crime was wrapped up bam! no there was another thread, another twist, another layer.

Some of the internet speak is weird, as in I've NEVER heard those terms. Like ever. Maybe they were popular in America at the time? They sure as heck weren't used here in Australia around that time or at any other. Seriously, 'synth world', 'nicks'. Nope. Threw me out every time.

(view spoiler)

The sub-plot packs an extra punch as well as Kathryn's mother faces the allegation that she mercy killed the law enforcement officer in the previous book who was horrifically burned in Daniel Pell's escape. The dynamic between mother and daughter is interesting to see.

Definitely a good follow up with a cool premise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roadside Crosses.

June 25, 2018 – Started Reading